About This Chapter
Developing Business Information Systems Processes - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to learn about the development of business information systems processes. As you progress through this series of expertly taught lessons, you'll see how information systems are designed, developed and implemented. Our instructors also break down concepts like graphical user interfaces, supply chain integration and enterprise resource planning. The lessons come with interactive self-assessment quizzes to reinforce important terms and concepts. You can access the chapter on any Internet-connected device, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the purpose of specialized information systems
- Describe the design and development of information systems
- Identify systems development tools and methods
- Recognize the components of graphical user interfaces
- Assess the implementation of a business' information system
- Define the concept of supply chain integration
- Understand the use of information technology in supply chain management
- Tell how enterprise resource planning helps integrate business processes
1. What Are Specialized Information Systems? - Decision Support Systems for Business
Specialized information systems have been developed to support decision making in an increasingly complex world. Learn about some of the different types of specialized information systems.
2. Information System Design & Development
Ever plan a vacation? Well, information systems design and development is the same but on a much grander scale. Discover how information systems design and development has phases and steps in a project.
3. Systems Development Methods and Tools
System development is the process of defining, designing, testing and implementing a software application. Learn about the phases of systems development and some of the specific tools used to support the activities of each phase in this video lesson.
4. What is a Graphical User Interface (GUI)? - Definition, Components & Examples
If you use a computer or smart phone, you have used a GUI. In this lesson we will find out what a GUI is, quickly trace its history, and cover its key components. We'll also take a look at some current examples.
5. Implementation of an Information System in Business
Rolling out a new software program or computer system in a business requires careful planning. In this lesson, we'll examine a series of common steps you can use that will lead to the successful implementation of a new information system.
6. What Is Supply Chain Integration? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson, we'll discuss what a supply chain is and what integration involves, along with the good and bad of a closely coordinated and integrated chain of companies to fulfill customer purchases.
7. Information Technology Used for Supply Chain Management
Watch this video lesson to learn about the different types of technology you can use to manage your supply chain. Learn how these technologies make keeping track of your supplies and inventory easier.
8. Enterprise Resource Planning: Using ERP to Integrate Business Processes
Enterprise resource planning is a set of integrated program to manage the critical operations for an entire organization. Learn about the advantages and challenges of implementing ERP.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 303: Management Information Systems course
- Management Information Systems Concepts
- Business Analysis & Process Models
- Knowledge Management in MIS
- Ethical Issues in MIS
- Computer Hardware in MIS
- Computer Software in MIS
- Data Management & Database Management Systems
- Networks & Telecommunications
- Electronic Commerce Information Systems
- Global Business & Marketing Information Systems
- Required Assignments for Business 303
- Studying for Business 303