About This Chapter
Developing Customer Service Soft Skills - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to help your employees develop specific skills for several methods of customer service delivery. Your employees can learn about:
- Customer service phone skills
- Writing skills needed for e-mails and customer support tickets
- Using instant messaging and online chats
- Face-to-face customer service soft skills
- Internal customer service skills
These lessons can be used as part of a group corporate training session, which is especially useful for promoting discussion and sharing among members of your customer service team. Employees can also watch the lessons on their own, using a computer or mobile device. The quizzes that follow each lesson let your employees test their learning.
How It Helps
- Ensures conformity: Completing the same training course ensures that all employees have received the same facts and were notified of identical guidelines regarding customer service.
- Develops awareness: These lessons help your employees understand all the methods by which customer service can be delivered.
- Promotes the use of technology: Your employees will get information on how to handle customer service requests through online chats and instant messaging. Multi-tasking is a major part of this lesson.
When employees have completed this chapter, they should be ready to:
- Explain the top skills for customer service over the telephone
- Describe the writing skills needed for customer service work
- Outline the main points of customer service work via Instant Messenger
- List skills for face-to-face contact
- Discuss the soft skills needed for internal customer service
1. Phone Skills for Customer Service
Effective customer service has a major impact on the overall health of an organization. This lesson will discuss several soft skills that phone customer service representatives should have.
2. Practical Application: Assessing Phone Skills for Customer Service Representatives
This questionnaire will help you self assess your phone skills. Using this will help you identify areas and strength and weakness in this skill. After, we'll analyze the results and look at strategies for improvement if necessary.
3. Writing Skills in Customer Support Tickets & Emails
Customer support tickets and emails are a convenient way for anyone to request help online. Learn four easy ways to write effective responses to support tickets and emails.
4. Using Instant Messaging & Chat in Customer Service
More and more companies are servicing customers through instant messaging and chat. This lesson will discuss the soft skills that customer service chat agents should possess.
5. Face-to-Face Customer Service Skills
Customer service is an important part of building relationships in business. The use of soft skills will shape the customer experience and play a large role in the decision to return for future business. Learn what these skills are and how to implement them!
6. Soft Skills for Internal Customer Service
In this lesson, you'll find a brief review of the soft skills required for internal customer service. At the end of the lesson, you should be able to define the term, internal customer, as well as how to use soft skills to meet their needs in the workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Building Customer Service Soft Skills course