About This Chapter
Developing Emotional Intelligence at Work - Chapter Summary
Emotional intelligence makes individuals more aware of their emotions, and those of others, to guide thinking and behavior. This chapter can teach your employees how emotional intelligence is developed and utilized in the workplace. Watching the videos can help them understand the following:
- The definition of emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Goleman's domains of leadership
- Ways to promote emotional intelligence on the job
You can use the video lessons during your corporate training sessions to help employees better understand how to develop emotional intelligence in the workplace. Assessment quizzes are available to gauge their comprehension of the concepts covered.
How It Helps
- Creates awareness: The lessons in this chapter create awareness of the use emotional intelligence, as well as how it can be used to improve workplace relationships and work performance.
- Offers guidelines: This chapter offers specific strategies that can be used to begin the process of developing and promoting emotional intelligence on the job.
- Enhances leadership qualities: As managers and employees understand more about emotional intelligence and Goleman's Domains of Leadership, they can take charge of their use of or response to emotional intelligence on the job.
By the end of this chapter, managers and employees will be able to:
- Define and explain the meaning of emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Share the definition of Goleman's Domains of Leadership
- Explain the concept of emotional intelligence, according to Goleman's Domains of Leadership
- Discuss guidelines for promoting emotional intelligence in the workplace
1. Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace: Definition & Meaning
Emotional intelligence (EI) is a vital element of a successful business. In this lesson, we will look at exactly what EI is, how it shapes a workplace, and how managers and employees can learn to improve their EI skills.
2. Goleman's Domains of Leadership: Definition and Concept of Emotional Intelligence
Employee success in the workplace may involve possessing emotional intelligence. In this lesson, you'll learn about the concept of emotional intelligence and five domains of it that can be developed in employees. A short quiz follows.
3. How to Promote Emotional Intelligence at Work
Companies are finding the need to promote emotional intelligence at work in order to see more success in their business. This lesson will take a look at some ways to promote emotional intelligence in the workplace.
4. Practical Application: Promoting Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace
Emotional intelligence can vital to success in the business world. How can you apply knowledge of understanding your own and others emotions to the workplace? This practical application will walk you through a scenario to develop that skill.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace course