About This Chapter
Developing Ideas for Innovation & Improvement - Chapter Summary
In this professional development chapter, your company's managers will learn a variety of thinking strategies that are designed to increase innovation and improvement in the workplace. These bite-sized lessons explain several thinking-related concepts, including:
- Opportunity recognition
- Idea generation
- Big-picture thinking
- Lateral thinking
- Creative and critical thinking
You can assign these lessons whenever it's convenient, and the chapter can be studied on a variety of Web-enabled devices. The chapter also comes with interactive quizzes to help reinforce key concepts from the lessons.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Lessons help managers become aware of the importance of critical and creative mindsets in today's business climate.
- Outlines effective thinking techniques: Managers learn a variety of techniques and strategies for generating ideas and thinking critically in the workplace.
- Improves innovation and process improvements: By applying these thinking techniques, your managers should be able to better integrate creativity into your organization's innovations/process improvements.
By the end of the chapter, your company's supervisors should be able to:
- Define the concept of opportunity recognition in innovation and continuous process development
- Utilize idea generation, brainstorming, big-picture thinking and lateral-thinking techniques/strategies
- Appreciate the importance of creative and critical thinking in business
1. Opportunity Recognition (OR): Definition & Examples
How are business solutions born? Through the process of opportunity recognition. In this lesson, you'll learn more about this business concept, see why it's important and explore a few popular brands who've benefited from it.
2. What is Idea Generation? - Definition, Process & Techniques
Businesses all have different ways of working. Some use a process called, 'idea generation' to figure out what works for them. Watch this lesson to explore what idea generation is and examine its processes as well as some techniques.
3. Brainstorming & Other Big Picture Thinking Strategies
Brainstorming, removing boundaries and focusing on possibilities are just a few ways to increase big picture thinking in a business. This lesson focuses on coming up with innovative, fresh ideas and solutions in business.
4. Lateral Thinking Techniques
This lesson is going to cover a scenario where using lateral thinking would be important. Along the way, you'll learn several lateral thinking techniques that can help you solve complex problems.
5. Creative & Critical Thinking in Business: Importance & Examples
Businesses are aware that the need for creative and critical thinking is essential to their success. This lesson explains creative and critical thinking and shows the importance of both in business.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Innovation & Continuous Process Improvement for Supervisors course