About This Chapter
Developing & Managing the School Library Environment - Chapter Summary
Feel confident that you understand how to develop and manage the school library environment by reviewing our bite-sized lessons. Study the principles and procedures of collection development and ways to manage and organize the library media program. By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Share strategies and methods for developing and managing a high-quality library collection
- Detail the process of organizing school library facilities and collections
- Describe systems, technologies and resources used to manage and preserve library media collections
- Discuss methods for creating an inviting and positive library environment
- List advantages and limitations of the options and techniques for schedule library resources
- Explain ways to advance creativity in a learning environment
This chapter is customizable, enabling you to study any lessons in any sequence you'd like. Lessons are available around-the-clock and can be accessed using your smartphone, tablet or computer. Multiple-choice quizzes accompanying the lessons and a practice exam can check your comprehension of ways to develop and manage the school library environment. Feel free to track your progress through this chapter and submit lesson topic questions to our experts using the Dashboard.
1. Developing & Managing a High-Quality Library Collection
This lesson discusses procedures for weeding out unused or outdated resources from a school library. You'll also learn about considerations for selecting new resources to replace outdated material and meet the needs of a diverse school population.
2. Organizing School Library Facilities
This lesson looks at considerations and methods for organizing the physical resources within the library facilities to provide equitable access for all users, including individuals with disabilities.
3. Organizing School Library Collections
Keeping a school library collection organized is a big part of the job of any school librarian. This lesson offers some tips and strategies to organize your collection.
4. Managing & Preserving Library Media Collections
In this lesson, we will examine how to effectively help maintain the quality of a collection, and avoid damage through proper management, preservation, and storage of the collection of materials within a library media.
5. Creating a Positive & Inviting Library Environment
The environment of the school library can make all the difference in terms of who uses the library, how, and for what. This lesson offers ideas for what makes a library environment welcoming and accessible for all.
6. Library Resources: Scheduling Options & Techniques
Setting the schedule for the school library? This lesson will discuss advantages and drawbacks to the main types of school library scheduling options and how to promote equal access for all members of the learning community.
7. How to Advance Creativity in a Learning Environment
Students in a classroom can attempt to solve problems in a wide variety of creative ways. This lesson defines creativity and then covers barriers to thinking creatively, including response sets and functional fixedness. Finally, the lesson discusses different types of creative problem solving, including brainstorming and working backward.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - School Library Media Specialist (041): Practice & Study Guide course
- Roles of the Library Media Program
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Library Media Specialist
- School Library Communication & Collaboration
- Planning & Evaluating Library Media Programs
- Strategies for Promoting Literacy to Students
- Methods & Materials for Information Literacy Skills
- Children's & Young Adult Literature
- Resources & Services for Diverse Student Groups
- Instructional Strategies for School Libraries
- Assessment & Data for School Librarians
- Management of Library Resources
- OAE School Library Media Specialist Flashcards