About This Chapter
Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills - Chapter Summary
What constitutes an aesthetically pleasing meal? What is table setting etiquette? How do restaurants provide quality service? These questions represent just some of the facts you will review when you refer to this short chapter.
You will also go over the elements of healthy meal planning, what goes into making the correct food choices and even how to factor food cost into menu planning. When you have finished your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define menu planning and explain its importance
- List factors that influence dietary choices
- Name elements of food aesthetics and food presentation
- Evaluate current food intake and develop a healthy eating plan
- Calculate food costs
- Explain proper table setting etiquette
- Discuss restaurant service standards
There is no easier way to review these topics than by accessing the lessons contained in this chapter. Each lesson is available on any device, at all times, so study time is convenient and flexible. Measure what you have learned and which topics you need to further review using brief self-assessment exams as you progress through the chapter.
1. What is Menu Planning? - Basics & Importance
Deciding what to eat involves so much more than grabbing whatever foods are available. In order to provide a quality meal, it takes some planning. In this lesson, we'll learn the basics of menu planning.
2. Factors that Influence Dietary Choices: Gender, Culture & Other Issues
You are a unique person and therefore, the dietary choices you make should be well-suited to who you are and what you do. The factors that influence these choices will be the focus of this lesson.
3. How to Create a Healthy Eating Plan
Would you like to know what goes into creating a healthy eating plan? Learn how to evaluate your current food intake, find your nutritional needs, choose the right foods and assess your progress to create a plan that meets your nutritional needs.
4. Food Cost Percentage: Definition & Calculation
For a restaurant owner, food cost percentage represents one of the fastest ways to make sure an establishment is pricing its goods properly, as well as making enough money with respect to one of its biggest expenses.
5. How to Calculate Food Cost for a Recipe
After this lesson, you'll know how to calculate the cost of a dish at a restaurant, taking into account the cost of ingredients, overhead, cooking time and other factors, so you will know how much you should charge your customers for it.
6. Restaurant Service: Standards, Etiquette & Training
Restaurant service quality is as important to a business as the taste of the food coming from the kitchen. In this lesson, you'll learn more about standards, etiquette, and training for restaurant service.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards