About This Chapter
Developing Reading Fluency in Children - Chapter Summary
This chapter looks at the range of strategies that can be used to develop reading fluency in children and the science behind children's literacy development. Explore an array of topics including prosody, reading rate and accuracy, and grow your theoretical knowledge of the stages in which children learn to read. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss fluency and reading development in children
- Describe the relationship between oral fluency and reading comprehension
- Implement various strategies for improving students' reading fluency, rate and accuracy
- Define prosody and understand how it can be used in instruction
- Outline the factors that may disrupt reading fluency
These engaging video lessons, delivered by expert instructors, have been designed to make the subject matter as accessible and straightforward as possible. Study efficiently and at your own pace using the video transcripts and the Timeline function, which lets you easily skip to the points in the video most relevant to you. You can also test yourself using the short quizzes provided, in order to boost your retention and monitor your progress through the chapter.
1. Fluency & Reading Development in Children
High school students who lack reading fluency are likely to perform poorly on reading assessments. This lesson will define fluency and describe the importance of fluency in reading development and explain how students develop it.
2. Oral Fluency & Its Relationship to Reading Comprehension
Oral reading fluency is an important element of reading comprehension. This lesson will explore that connection for teachers seeking to improve oral fluency with their students.
3. Strategies for Improving Students' Reading Fluency
Learning to read includes more than just decoding words. Students need to build fluency to be solid readers. How can teachers help? This lesson outlines several strategies to help students improve fluency in reading.
4. Strategies for Improving Reading Rate & Accuracy
In this lesson, we learn to identify a student's current reading rate, level of fluency and mastery, and most importantly, learn the necessary strategies to enhance these skills.
5. Prosody: Definition, Elements & Instruction
This lesson will introduce prosody and the various elements of it by providing examples from a sample text. We'll also explain some ways to improve prosody.
6. Factors That Disrupt Reading Fluency
As an elementary school teacher, helping students read fluently is a big part of your job. This lesson discusses factors disrupt fluency and strategies for helping students become increasingly fluent readers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 - English Language Arts and Reading & the Science of Teaching Reading (801): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Exam
- Skills & Techniques for Children's Linguistic Development
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills to Children
- The Development of Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Teaching the Alphabet
- Print Awareness & Literacy Development
- Word Identification & Decoding Reading Strategies
- Reading Comprehension Development & Instruction
- Creating Reading Strategies for Students
- Teaching Children's Literature
- Vocabulary Instruction & Assessment
- Research Skills & Critical Thinking for Elementary Students
- English Writing Conventions for Elementary School
- Writing Instruction & Development for Elementary School
- Assessing & Developing Writing Skills
- Parental Support in Developing Literacy Skills
- Understand the Science of Teaching Reading Standards
- ELAR Instruction in Texas
- TExES Core Subjects EC-6: ELA & Reading Flashcards