About This Chapter
Developing & Rewarding an Effective Team - Chapter Summary
Team building doesn't have to be rocket science; let our expert business instructors break it down for your management staff in these brief video lessons. We'll help managers understand what goes into forming a solid group and finding each employee a place as a team member. The lessons in this chapter discuss:
- Increasing group cohesion
- Aligning individual and group goals
- Team-based reward systems
These videos are perfect for an organizational corporate training event; the lessons are short, leaving room for lots of good discussions and input from leadership. Use the chapter quizzes as a discussion guide as you have managers respond to the questions and then discuss the topic together. Not enough time in the schedule for an event? Have your managers complete the lessons on their own and complete the chapter test to make sure they captured the key information.
How It Helps
- Fosters positive relationships: As your managers learn to make team building a deliberate, on-going process they will improve the relationships between the members of the team.
- Increases satisfaction: Employees who feel like they are part of something are happier employees, and here your managers will learn how to make that happen.
- Coordinates missions: When your managerial staff connect individual goals to team goals and team goals to organizational goals, your company will work together as a hyper-coordinated whole.
- Informs reward processes: Reward systems which cost the company money with little or no increase to productivity and satisfaction are counterproductive. Here managers will gain a better understanding of effective reward strategies and ensure they are getting the biggest bang.
By the end of this chapter, managerial employees will be able to:
- Increase group cohesion through effective team building
- Establish symbiotic relationships between individual performance goals and group goals
- Identify the pros and cons of various team-based reward systems
1. Becoming a Cohesive Group: Using Team Building to Increase Group Cohesion
Have you ever wondered why some groups seem to work better together than others? In this lesson you will learn what it means to be a cohesive group and how team building activities can be used to increase group cohesion.
2. Practical Application: Choosing the Right Team Building Activity
Team working environments can present unique challenges. Sometimes, it calls for the right team-building activity to get things back on track. Here, you'll be asked to find a solution for three team scenarios.
3. Aligning Group Goals With Individual Performance Goals
Motivating employees is a complicated and nuanced task. In this lesson, you will learn how matching employee goals with company goals can help increase employee motivation, engagement and retention.
4. Pros & Cons of Team-Based Reward Systems
Businesses can use a variety of ways to motivate and inspire their employees. One of the most effective tools is offering an incentive for performance. In a team-focused environment, offering a team-based reward has pros and cons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.