About This Chapter
Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Let instructors teaching this chapter introduce you to the physical, cognitive, social and emotional changes that occur during puberty. They can also help you explore how influences ranging from gender stereotypes and the media to peer groups and genetics affect adolescents' sexual development. This chapter is designed to teach you:
- Developmental differences between males and females
- Roles of health and fitness in adolescent physical development
- Social influences on adolescent sexual development
- Factors contributing to early maturation
|Physical Growth in Adolescence||Examine the physical growth spurts and rites of passage that occur during adolescence. Identify differences in growth between males and females.|
|Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent||Learn about the physical, emotional and social changes that occur during puberty.|
|Health and Fitness in Adolescence||Understand the importance of health, fitness and nutrition in adolescence. Explore the roles of sports and exercise.|
|The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development||Discuss how genetic and environmental factors contribute to the secular changes in puberty and development. Describe how early maturation affects males and females.|
|Gender Differences in Adolescent Development||Explore the differences in cognitive, social and emotional development among males and females. Discuss body image differences.|
|Gender Identity in Adolescent Development||Explain how sexual orientation and gender identity develop in adolescence. Examine androgyny, gender roles and gender stereotypes.|
|Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors & Values||Survey adolescents' attitudes, behaviors and values regarding sex and sexuality. Assess the impact of media, peers, family and school on development.|
|Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development||Understand how sexual harassment and abuse influence adolescent development.|
|Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence||Recognize the effects of teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases on adolescents. Outline the different types of birth control methods.|
1. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
2. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
3. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
4. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
5. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
6. Gender Identity in Adolescent Development
During adolescence, teens become more and more aware of their sexuality and what it means to be part of their gender. In this lesson, we'll explore how gender identity and sexual orientation develop in adolescence.
7. Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors, & Values
Puberty brings with it many changes, including new sexual feelings. Watch this lesson to find out more about sexual development in adolescence, including the differences in how early adolescents and later adolescents approach sexuality.
8. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
9. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Domains of Human Development
- Research Methods and the Study of Life Span Development
- Theoretical Foundations for Life Span Developmental Psychology
- The Impact of Genetics in Human Development & Psychology
- Prenatal Development Concepts
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood
- Physical and Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
- Death and Dying: Stages and Psychological Impact
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology Flashcards