About This Chapter
Physical and Cognitive Development in Middle Adulthood - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Let instructors teaching this chapter introduce you to the aspects of intelligence that improve over time and the cognitive abilities that begin to diminish as we progress through middle adulthood. You can also explore the physiological changes affecting motor, sensory and reproductive abilities as well as sexual functioning. Use the lessons to learn about the following developmental characteristics of middle adulthood:
- Musculoskeletal and sensory changes
- Climacteric changes and sexual function
- The importance of health and fitness
- Intelligence and information processing
|Physical Development in Middle Adulthood||Understand the physical changes that occur during middle adulthood, including hearing changes, vision changes, musculoskeletal changes and changes in reaction time.|
|Male and Female Climacteric Changes in Human Development||Discuss changes associated with female and male climacteric, including menopause.|
|Health and Fitness in Middle Adulthood||Identify health and fitness concerns in middle adulthood, including cancer and cardiovascular disorders. Learn how lifestyle changes, diet and exercise can help reduce their risks.|
|Sexual Functioning in Middle Adulthood||Examine the changes to sexual functioning that occur during middle adulthood.|
|Two Types of Intelligence: Fluid and Crystallized Intelligence||Distinguish between the two types of intelligence outlined by Raymond Cattell. Learn how each intelligence type changes as people age.|
|Cognitive Development in Adults||Discover which cognitive abilities increase and decrease as adults reach middle age.|
|Memory and Information Processing in Adults||Understand the basic memory and information processing capabilities of adults.|
|Knowledge and Change in Intelligence Over Time||Examine changes to fluid and crystallized intelligence and divergent and convergent knowledge over time.|
|Adult Creativity and Intelligence: Changes with Age||Understand how the dimensions of intelligence, including creativity and wisdom, change with age.|
1. Physical Development in Middle Adulthood
Middle age comes with many new physical challenges, from wrinkles to hearing loss to weight gain. This lesson examines many of the signs of aging that are common in middle adulthood and how people can fight middle age weight gain.
2. Male and Female Climacteric Changes in Human Development
During middle age, people's ability to reproduce declines and sometimes even stops. In this lesson, we'll look at climacteric and menopause, in addition to what it's like to go through climacteric changes for both men and women.
3. Health and Fitness in Middle Adulthood
As people age, new health issues can arise. Watch this lesson to find out more about the two most common causes of death in middle age - cancer and cardiovascular disease - and how fitness and personality can combat them.
4. Sexual Functioning in Middle Adulthood
Sexuality is an important part of most adults' lives. But what happens when things change? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the changes regarding sex that often occur in middle age, including sexual dysfunction and changes in the frequency of sex.
5. Two Types of Intelligence: Fluid and Crystallized Intelligence
Are you better at memorizing facts or at assembling a piece of equipment using a diagram? These two tasks illustrate two different types of intelligence proposed by Raymond Cattell known as 'fluid intelligence' and 'crystallized intelligence.' This lesson covers both types and how each type might change over one's lifespan.
6. Cognitive Development in Adults
As people age, they discover that their thought processes change. Though some cognitive abilities decrease in middle age, some increase. In this lesson, we'll look at how executive functioning and wisdom increase in middle age.
7. Memory and Information Processing in Adults
During middle age, many people notice that they aren't as mentally sharp as they once were. During this lesson, we'll look at cognitive abilities that decline in middle adulthood, including information processing and working memory.
8. Knowledge and Change in Intelligence Over Time
In this lesson, we will look at Raymond Cattell's two types of intelligence: fluid and crystallized. We will also look at convergent and divergent ways of thinking and changes in intelligence over time.
9. Adult Creativity and Intelligence: Changes with Age
Does IQ increase as we get older? Does it decrease? Does it remain the same? Explore the different ways to answer these questions and discover the roles of crystallized and fluid intelligence in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Domains of Human Development
- Research Methods and the Study of Life Span Development
- Theoretical Foundations for Life Span Developmental Psychology
- The Impact of Genetics in Human Development & Psychology
- Prenatal Development Concepts
- Childbirth and Newborn Characteristics
- Physical Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Childhood
- Physical and Psychosocial Development in Middle Childhood
- Cognitive Development in Middle Childhood
- Physical and Sexual Development in Adolescence
- Psychosocial Development in Adolescence
- Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Early Adulthood
- Psychosocial Development in Middle Adulthood
- Physical Development in Late Adulthood
- Psychosocial and Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
- Death and Dying: Stages and Psychological Impact
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology Flashcards