About This Chapter
Development of Earth & Space Science - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you can get an overview of what Earth science is and see how scientific discoveries have changed people's beliefs and society as a whole. Look at the impact of the Space Race on math and science education.
Our instructors will also help you explore options for science careers. Another lesson examines natural resources. After watching this chapter's videos, you should be able to:
- Define Earth science
- List the causes, history and impact of the Scientific Revolution
- Explore how scientific discoveries can cause people to alter their beliefs
- Look at ways science has changed society
- Examine the impact of the Space Race on science and math education
- Analyze the education requirements for science careers
- Define natural resources
These lessons offer a review of topics you studied in high school and college, and our instructors may also offer some information on concepts you haven't encountered. Highlighted key terms are sometimes linked to text lessons with additional information. Our lessons are accompanied by brief quizzes that let you assess your knowledge and determine if you need additional study.
1. What is Earth Science?
Earth Science, which consists of Geology, meteorology, and oceanography, refers to the category of science that studies the planet. Learn the branches of earth science, their linguistic roots, and the ways scientists explore them.
2. The Scientific Revolution: Definition, History, Causes & Leaders
The Scientific Revolution was a period of history when notable advances were made in science and astronomy. Explore the period and what made it unique, delve into its background, and look at some of the noteworthy scientists of the age.
3. Effects of the Scientific Revolution
The Scientific Revolution, challenging then-contemporary beliefs, invoked lasting cultural changes in the Western world. Explore the effects of challenging particular ~'truths,~' religion, superstitions, and the humanity-centric view of the universe.
4. How Scientific Discoveries Can Cause People to Change Their Beliefs
Personal beliefs are one thing that people hold to very tightly. However, over time, with enough scientific evidence, a critical eye and consistent experiments, science can and does change people's beliefs in ways that simple observations cannot.
5. How Science Has Changed Society
Without science, our modern world just wouldn't be the same. The way we travel, shop, learn, socialize, eat, work, and play is possible because of scientific influences and innovations. Take a look around, and you'll see science pretty much everywhere!
6. The Space Race's Impact on Math & Science Education in the U.S.
The Space Race's impact on maths and science education in the U.S was an interesting phenomena to come out of the competition from the two countries. Learn more about the motivations and effects of the Space Race.
7. Careers in the Sciences: Typical Courses & Degrees
The sciences, such as biology and chemistry, are the basis for a variety of careers, including jobs in healthcare, environmentalism, and agriculture. Learn about the different types of science, and explore careers in the sciences. Review the typical courses and the major coursework required to earn a science degree, and understand the available degrees.
8. What Are Natural Resources? - Definition & Types
Natural resources are materials that are raw and extracted from the Earth. Understand this definition and identify natural resources based on their different types: biotic, abiotic, renewable, and non-renewable.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Earth Science (AZ045): Practice & Study Guide course
- Nature of Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Space Science Technology
- Laboratory Safety & Procedures
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Time & Dating in Geology
- Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Physical & Chemical Properties of Earth's Minerals
- Rocks & Minerals
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Biogeochemical Cycles
- Earth's Hydrologic Cycle
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Atmospheric Structure & Energy Transfer
- The Ozone Layer, Climate Change & Air Pollution
- Season & Climate Classifications
- Earth's Climate System: Wind, Air Masses & El Nino
- Weather Conditions & Severe Weather Phenomena
- Weather Forecasting and Analysis
- Characteristics of Ocean Water, Currents & Waves
- The Earth & the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Electromagnetic Waves
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies of the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Types and Significance
- Characteristics of Stars
- Structure of the Milky Way Galaxy
- The Universe: Key Concepts & Theories
- AEPA Earth Science Flashcards