About This Chapter
Development of Young Children - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors discuss the development of young children. You'll find a series of helpful lessons covering topics like the differences between cognitive, emotional and social development and the stages of language development. After this chapter is completed, you should be able to do the following:
- Outline the physical development that takes place in early childhood
- Define the stages of language development
- Discuss milestones for child language development
- Give examples of developmental skills for children
- Identify the development of self-help skills in young children
- Detail gifted students' advanced developmental milestones
- Explain what variable progression in early childhood development means
These lessons key childhood development concepts in an easy-to-follow way. Feel free to access the chapter's resources 24 hours a day to study at your convenience. If you're preparing for a test, the short quiz that accompanies each lesson and the test at the end of the chapter can help you see how well you might do.
1. What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
People grow and develop in many different ways and in many different areas. In this lesson, we'll look closer at three types of human development: cognitive, social, and emotional development.
2. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
3. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
4. Child Language Development Milestones
A baby's first few years are paramount in the establishment of speech and language. Every parent wants to be sure their child is developing on point. In this lesson, you will learn the major child language development milestones that children should hit in the first six years of their lives.
5. Developmental Skills for Children: Milestones, Definition & Examples
You will learn about the social/emotional, language, cognitive, and physical milestones for young children through age 5. Test your knowledge at the end of the lesson with a quiz.
6. Developmental Milestones in Self-Help Skills for Young Children
Even though children grow at their own rate, most follow a natural sequence of development in many areas, including self-help skills. We'll look at developmental milestones for self-help skills in young children.
7. Variable Progression in Early Childhood Development
How do children develop in early childhood, and when should parents and teachers be concerned about a student? In this lesson, we'll look at variable progression in early childhood development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basics of Early Childhood Education
- Influences on Early Childhood Development
- Language Development in Children
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Federal Legislation Related to Children With Exceptionalities
- Accommodating Children With Diverse Needs
- Adaptive & Assistive Equipment for Learning
- Multicultural & Antibias Curriculum
- Early Childhood Classroom Safety
- Learning Environments in Early Education
- Managing the Learning Environment
- Instructional Planning for Early Education
- Instructional Processes for Early Education
- Grouping Techniques for Classrooms
- Integrated Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Connections for ECE
- Art Education for Early Childhood
- Physical Health & Wellness Education
- Fundamentals of Literacy in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Math in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Social Studies in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Science in Early Education
- Assessment Data in Early Education
- Early Childhood Educational Technology
- Assessments in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Development for Early Childhood Teachers
- Ethics & Professionalism in Early Education
- Family Collaboration & Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Flashcards