About This Chapter
Diabetes Insipidus - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can learn more about what diabetes insipidus is along with its causes, symptoms, types and treatments. Other lessons cover how it differs from diabetes mellitus, its complications and how dogs can exhibit the disease. Use the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to assess how well you understand the material or how well you might do on an upcoming test. Our instructors are available to help you if you have additional questions. Once you read through this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define diabetes insipidus and what causes it
- Describe the tests, treatments and methods of diagnosis for the disease
- Differentiate between diabetes insipidus and diabetes mellitus
- Understand how lithium can induce diabetes insipidus and how this is treated
- Identify the complications associated with the disease
- Explain how diabetes insipidus in dogs is diagnosed and treated
1. Diabetes Insipidus: Definition, Causes & Types
Although you have heard of diabetes, chances are you haven't heard of an unrelated disease called diabetes insipidus. This lesson will define this disease as well as list the different types, while trying to ascertain the cause of diabetes insipidus in a three-year old child.
2. Diabetes Insipidus: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the basics of a condition called diabetes insipidus, its two major forms, the major signs and symptoms, and potential treatment options.
3. Diabetes Insipidus: Tests & Diagnosis
This lesson will teach you about the basics of diabetes insipidus, as well as the names and values of the major diagnostic tests that can be used to help diagnose it.
4. Diabetes Insipidus vs. Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes is a term used to describe two different conditions. This lesson will describe the pathologies of diabetes insipidus and diabetes mellitus, explaining why they have similar names despite being different disorders.
5. Lithium Induced Diabetes Insipidus: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson goes over a relatively complex situation involving one drug and two completely different medical conditions. You'll learn how bipolar disorder, lithium, and diabetes insipidus are all tied together.
6. Complications of Diabetes Insipidus
In this lesson you're going to learn a bit about a condition known as diabetes insipidus, the basics of why it occurs, and its most important and deadliest complications.
7. Diabetes Insipidus in Dogs: Symptoms, Treatment & Life Expectancy
This lesson teaches you about a disorder dogs can experience, called diabetes insipidus. You'll learn its definition, causes, signs, symptoms, treatment options, as well as some prognoses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease