About This Chapter
Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing - Chapter Summary
Going through the lessons in this chapter allows you to review and learn more about how nurses test and diagnose patients. You'll study diagnostic procedures and learn about ways to prevent and treat various types of complications. The topics in this chapter include:
- Importance of diagnosing diseases
- Different types of tests that are used to screen for diseases and illnesses
- How diagnostic imaging helps aid in a diagnosis
- Different ways to treat disease such as medication and surgical treatment
- Factors that impact the effectiveness of treatment
- Complications and errors that arise from the diagnostic
- Consequences that can happen with surgical procedures
- Examples of therapeutic procedures
Our lessons are interactive, engaging, short and taught by expert instructors. You can gauge how much you know by taking a short quiz. You will get quick feedback as well, which will give you the chance to go back into the lessons and re-review anything you missed on the quiz.
1. Diagnosing Disease: Definition, Process & Steps
The process of diagnosis disease in patients involves several steps that allow a doctor or healthcare professional to collect information. In this lesson we'll walk through those steps to help you understand how a diagnosis is made.
2. Screening Tests: Purpose & Types
Screening tests are important for catching diseases early or preventing them altogether. In this lesson we'll talk about screening tests that help keep you healthy from the time before you are born all the way through adulthood.
3. Diagnostic Techniques: Purpose & Methods
In this lesson we will cover the purpose and methods of certain diagnostic testing. Following basic screening tests, further diagnostic testing is often needed to monitor or understand diseases or dysfunctions.
4. Treating Disease: Techniques & Principles
In this lesson, we're going to delve into the various techniques utilized for the treatment of some common diseases. We'll also look at the principles behind why the different types of techniques are used.
5. Factors Affecting Treatment
We are going to look at different categories of factors that affect the treatment process. Examples of each category will be given to further explore how they interfere with treatment.
6. Potential for Complications: Diagnostics, Treatments & Procedures
Complications may occur with any medical care. In this lesson, we will review potential complications for different diagnostics, treatments, and procedures.
7. Potential for Complications from Surgical Procedures & Health Alterations
While surgical procedures have good intentions, operations are actually quite dangerous and may lead to negative outcomes. Read this lesson to learn about the most common surgical complications and how they might be prevented.
8. Therapeutic Procedures: Definition & Examples
Medicine has a range of therapeutic procedures. This lesson defines therapeutic procedures and gives you some examples, including radiation, fluid, oxygen therapy, and chemotherapy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards