About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Precalculus Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about rational functions and difference quotients. There is no faster or easier way to learn about these function topics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about rational equations and inequalities, graphs of rational functions, asymptotes and difference quotients.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a difference quotients unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Difference Quotients in Precalculus Unit Objectives:
- Solve rational equations and rational inequalities
- Identify the horizontal and vertical asymptotes of rational functions
- Find a rational function's slant asymptote
- Find the expression for a rational function
- Calculate difference quotients
1. Solving Equations & Inequalities Involving Rational Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve both equations and inequalities that involve rational functions. Learn the steps involved in solving them as well as what to watch out for.
2. Graphing & Analyzing Rational Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph a rational function by analyzing its horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Learn to find how the graph behaves around the asymptotes.
3. Finding Slant Asymptotes of Rational Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the slant asymptote to certain types of rational functions. Learn what you need to look for and how polynomial long division comes into play.
4. Expressions of Rational Functions
In this video lesson, you will learn how to write a rational function given just the horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Learn how to write the asymptotes and where to write them in your function.
5. The Geometric Interpretation of Difference Quotient
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the difference quotient looks from a geometric standpoint. You will also see how the difference quotient is applied to a function.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Graphing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Linear Systems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Linear Models: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Geometry Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Recognizing Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Graph Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rate of Change: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomials: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Rational Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Evaluating Logarithmic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions in Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Basic Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Laws of Sine & Cosine: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors & Matrices: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Sequences: Homeschool Curriculum
- Identifying Conic Sections: Homeschool Curriculum
- Parametric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Continuity: Homeschool Curriculum
- Limits in Precalculus: Homeschool Curriculum
- Groups & Sets in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum