About This Chapter
Different Types of Estates in Real Estate - Chapter Summary
In property law, estates are classified into different categories by the type of rights and interests they confer on the property owner. The lessons in this chapter will teach you all the ownership rights and interests associated with different types of estates. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Freehold estates
- Concurrent estates
- Life estates
- Estate in severalty
This self-paced chapter allows you to control your learning experience and study on your own schedule. In addition, our roughly 5-minute video lessons deliver the maximal amount of information in a brief amount of time. Multiple quizzes and a chapter test will measure your understanding of the materials covered, and help you recognize which topics you need to study more for better comprehension.
1. Types of Concurrent Estates
Real property may be owned by just one person or many. In this lesson, you'll learn about concurrent estates and the various ways multiple people can hold the same parcel of land. A short quiz follows.
2. Freehold Estates: Definition & Key Terms
There is more than one way to own property, and not all types of ownership are equal. In this lesson, you'll learn what a freehold estate is and the different types of freehold estates one might encounter. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Life Estate: Definition, Example, Advantages & Remainderman
In this lesson, you'll learn about the life estate interest in real property and discover how to identify when someone has a life estate interest in land, and the advantages/disadvantages of the life estate interest.
4. Estate in Severalty: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, the definition of estate in severalty will be provided. Examples of estates in severalty will be given to provide the reader with a better understanding of this type of estate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Real Estate Exam Prep course
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Real Estate Property Rights
- Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Advanced Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Land Use Regulations & Zoning
- Land Descriptions & Surveys
- Transfer of Real Property
- Advanced Transfer of Real Property
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection Laws in Real Estate
- Real Estate Transactions & Contracts
- Contract Law in Real Estate
- Role of Agencies in Real Estate
- Property Valuation & Appraisal
- Real Estate Investment & Analysis
- Property Condition Disclosure Statements in Real Estate
- Overview of Real Estate Financing
- Real Estate Loan Types & Programs
- Real Estate Loan Regulations
- Real Estate Loan Calculations
- Real Estate Closing & Settlement Procedures
- Real Estate Taxes, Warranties & Insurance
- Leases & Property Management
- Principles of Practicing Real Estate
- Real Estate Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate Exam Prep Flashcards