About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering AP calculus material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn AP calculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding differential equations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about differential equations in AP calculus
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the differential equations in AP calculus chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know; review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the differential equations in AP calculus chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on differential equations. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a differential equations unit of a standard AP Calculus AB and BC course. Topics covered include:
- Understanding differential notation
- Using separation of variables to solve system differential equations
- Calculating rate and exponential growth
- Solving draining tank problems
- Solving distance between moving points problems
1. Differential Notation in Physics
Stop. Look around. Everything is changing. In this lesson, you'll learn what a differential equation is and how these equations can describe the world around you.
2. Separation of Variables to Solve System Differential Equations
In this lesson, we discuss how to solve some types of differential equations using the separation of variables technique. We'll ponder the dastardly deeds of a mad scientist, using his chemical concoction as an example for how to use separation of variables.
3. Calculating Rate and Exponential Growth: The Population Dynamics Problem
You know how the world population keeps increasing? It's increasing faster now than it was 100 or 1,000 years ago. In this lesson, learn how differential equations predict this type of exponential growth.
4. Related Rates: The Draining Tank Problem
Grab an empty cup and pour some water into it. In this lesson we will watch how the height of the water changes as we learn about related rates of change and learn how to solve the draining tank problem.
5. Related Rates: The Distance Between Moving Points Problem
Remember the classic problem of math horror stories everywhere? You know, where one train leaves Kentucky at 2 p.m. and another leaves Sacramento at 4 p. m.? In this lesson, tame the horror and learn how to solve these problems using differentiation and related rates.
6. Oscillation: Definition, Theory & Equation
In this article you will learn about mathematical functions that are used to model oscillations. An oscillation is any motion that repeats itself, and the function describing a particular oscillation is an example of a periodic function. Sine and cosine are the most common periodic functions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Help and Review course
- Functions in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Graphing and Functions in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Limits in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules in AP Calculus: Help & Review
- Calculus - Derivatives Calculations & Rules: Help & Review
- Area Under the Curve and Integrals in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- L'Hopital's Rule & Graphing Derivatives: Help & Review
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Help and Review