About This Chapter
Digestive & Intestinal Diseases - Chapter Summary
Get an overview of intestinal and digestive diseases with this self-paced chapter. As you work through these engaging lessons and self-assessment quizzes, you'll become familiar with basic information about diseases like isosporiasis, enteritis and necrotizing enterocolitis. The chapter is available whenever you need it, and you can access these study resources on any device that has an Internet connection. Revisit the chapter as many times as needed, and be sure to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help with the material. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand necrotizing enterocolitis pathophysiology
- Explain the differences between necrotizing enterocolitis in adults and newborns
- Identify the risk factors, causes, stages, symptoms, treatment and management of necrotizing enterocolitis
- Evaluate the pathophysiology, symptoms, causes and treatments for different types of enteritis
- Describe isosporiasis' causes, transmission, symptoms, life cycle, diagnosis and treatment
1. Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Definition, Pathophysiology & Classification
Necrotizing enterocolitis most commonly affects premature babies and is a life-threatening gastrointestinal emergency. In this lesson, we will learn what it is, what causes it, and how it is classified.
2. Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Adults & Newborns
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a condition that causes damage to the intestinal tract. It can be caused by bacteria or inadequate blood flow. This lesson will discuss the differences between necrotizing enterocolitis in adults and newborns.
3. Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Risk Factors, Causes & Stages
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a condition that involves tissue damage and death of the inner wall of the intestines. This lesson will educate the reader on the risk factors, causes, and stages of necrotizing enterocolitis.
4. Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Symptoms, Treatment & Management
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a serious condition of your digestive tract. In this lesson, we will learn about the symptoms, treatment, and management of this condition.
5. Enteritis in Humans: Definition, Types & Pathophysiology
Enteritis, inflammation of the small intestine, is caused by a variety of factors. Read this lesson to learn how food poisoning, radiation treatments, and drugs affect the organ responsible for the absorption of key nutrients within the body.
6. Enteritis in Humans: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Enteritis is a condition in which the small intestine becomes inflamed and irritated. Read this lesson to learn what causes enteritis, the symptoms associated with it, along with typical treatment expectations.
7. Isosporiasis: Definition, Life Cycle & Transmission
This lesson is going to go over the lifecycle and routes of transmission of a parasite formerly known as ''Isospora belli''. You'll also learn its proper name today.
8. Isosporiasis: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment
Isosporiasis is an intestinal disease caused by a specific pathogenic microorganism. This lesson will arm you with knowledge about the causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of isosporiasis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease