About This Chapter
Terminology for Direction, Planes, & Regions of the Body - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
When studying human anatomy, it's important to have an understanding of how the body can be theoretically dissected into certain regions or planes. There are also several terms used to describe the body's relative positioning. Using this standard anatomical terminology ensures science and medical professionals are on the same page when describing parts of the human body. In this chapter, you'll study lessons about:
- What terms to use to describe the location of something relative to the body's position
- How to identify the human body's planes
- What anatomical terms are used to describe vertebrates
- Which parts make up the body's cavities
- What regions are in the abdominal and thorax areas
|Anatomical Directional Terminology: Anterior, Posterior and More||Learn the terms used to describe something in relation to the front of, back of, above, or below a certain point on the body.|
|Anatomical Directional Terminology: Limbs, Hands & Feet||Find out which anatomical terms to use when describing sides of the hands and feet.|
|Anatomical Directional Terminology: Lateral, Medial & More||See which terms to use when describing something that's closer or farther away from the body's midline.|
|Planes of the Human Body: Definition, Anatomy & Diagram||Explore the median, sagittal, coronal and transverse body planes.|
|Directional Terminology for Anatomy||Learn some other directional terms not as commonly used in human medicine.|
|Major Body Cavities: Medical Terminology||Discover terms used for human body cavities, including dorsal and ventral.|
|Diagnosis of Abdominal Pain: The Four Quadrants||Identify different ways to diagnose abdominal pain.|
|Nine Regions of the Abdomen: Medical Terms||Explore the epigastric region, lumbar region, and other portions of the abdomen.|
|Regions of the Peritoneum: Medical Vocabulary||Define terms related to the peritoneum.|
1. Anatomical Directional Terminology: Anterior, Posterior and More
Find out how to properly refer to the location of things at the front and back of a person as well as above or below a certain point on the body by learning the terms anterior, posterior, superior, and inferior.
2. Anatomical Directional Terminology: Limbs, Hands & Feet
In this lesson, you'll learn how we term the different sides of our feet and hands thanks to words like dorsal, plantar and palmar. You'll also learn how we name something that is near or far away from the trunk of our body thanks to words like proximal and distal.
3. Anatomical Directional Terminology: Lateral, Medial & More
Learn what it means to be on the same side as something else or on a different side altogether. In addition, find out what it means to be closer to or farther away from the middle of something as we explore the following terms: lateral, medial, ipsilateral, and contralateral.
4. Planes of the Human Body: Definition, Anatomy & Diagram
Learn about the different ways in which your body can be divided or cut up for theoretical and practical purposes as we explore the sagittal plane, transverse plane and coronal plane.
5. Directional Terminology for Anatomy
This lesson seeks to cover several different terms used in directional terminology: ventral, dorsal, cranial, caudal, cephalic, and rostral. These anatomical terms are defined from a bipedal perspective.
6. Major Body Cavities: Medical Terminology
Without its organs, your body is nothing but a collection of empty spaces called cavities. There are two major cavity regions with their own unique subdivisions, and they'll be defined here.
7. Diagnosis of Abdominal Pain: The Four Quadrants
This lesson will discuss the major points of the four-quadrant approach to diagnosing abdominal pain. While every possible permutation of pain in the abdomen won't be covered, you will come out with a good understanding as to what a problem may be.
8. Nine Regions of the Abdomen: Medical Terms
Like we can divide a city, state, or country, your abdomen can be divided into many different regions for the purposes of study, reference, and practice. We will define all nine of the abdominal regions in this lesson.
9. Regions of the Peritoneum: Medical Vocabulary
Inside of your abdomen are layers of membranes and different spaces with really weird names. We'll define many of them: peritoneum (including the visceral and parietal parts), retroperitoneum, and mesentery.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology