About This Chapter
Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Basic Math Operations - Chapter Summary
This chapter aims to equip you with the knowledge necessary to successfully complete the math portion of the Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test. By providing a comprehensive overview of basic math operations, these lessons will present you with opportunities to refresh your knowledge of these skills. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Calculate and convert fractions, percentages, and decimals
- Add, subtract, divide, and multiply
- Subtract, add, multiply, and divide mixed numbers and fractions
- Understand different types of numbers and regrouping
- Convert irrational numbers and compare and order rational numbers
- Identify the order of operations
- Convert Roman numerals
These lessons were developed by an expert who is adept at teaching math skills in a comprehensive and clear manner. Through short videos and their accompanying transcripts, you can review basic math operations at your own pace. After each lesson, you may take a quiz to ascertain how well you have retained the material. This can improve your confidence and point you towards areas you still need to work on.
Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Basic Math Operations - Chapter Objectives
The Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test assesses how prepared you are to enter an allied health program. It covers four different categories. In the math section, 10 questions will focus on your knowledge of mathematical operations. By reviewing the operations presented in these lessons, you should be adequately prepared to answer pertinent questions on the exam. As the exam consists wholly of multiple-choice questions, taking the practice quizzes and chapter test will give you the opportunity to respond to questions in this format. This chapter can serve as an invaluable tool as you prepare for the Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test.
1. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
2. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
3. Calculate Percentages: Formula & Overview
Learn how understanding and being able to calculate percentages can help you when shopping and when reading test scores. Also learn how to easily convert a decimal into a percentage and vice versa.
4. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
5. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
6. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
7. How to Estimate in Math: Definition & Concept
Learn how to use estimate values in this lesson. It can help you answer math problems that use more complicated numbers and even make it easier to split a check at the restaurant next time you are out with friends!
8. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
9. What is Regrouping in Math? - Definition, Subtraction & Addition
Starting in second grade, students begin to learn how to add and subtract numbers that are greater than one digit. To do this, they need to be taught how to regroup. This lesson will define regrouping and show examples for both addition and subtraction.
10. How to Convert Irrational Numbers
What is an irrational number? How can you use it in a problem? Can you make it a rational number? This lesson will show you how to convert an irrational number to an approximate rational number, making it easier to use.
11. Comparing & Ordering Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any rational number and compare it with any other rational number. Learn what you need to do so that you know which number is greater or lesser than another.
12. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
13. What are Roman Numerals? - Number Conversion & Chart
In this lesson, learn what Roman numerals look like and the rules for converting any number to a Roman numeral. Also, find a handy reference chart you can use for your conversions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Reading Comprehension
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Analyzing Text Passages
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Literary Forms & Genres
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Understanding Reference Materials
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Interpreting Text & Images
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Using Consumer Information
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Understanding Grammar
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Using Punctuation
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Sentence & Paragraph Structure
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Word Problems in Math
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Basic Financial Math
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Algebra Basics
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Interpreting Data
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Measurement Types
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Life Science Overview
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Understanding Genetics
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Human Anatomy
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Chemistry Basics
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Energy in Physical Science
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test: Scientific Reasoning
- Discover Health Occupations Readiness Test Flashcards