About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Discovering and Proving Polygon Properties chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this online chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the discovering and proving polygon properties topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How to calculate the sum and measurements of a polygon's angles
- Properties and of kites in geometry
- Trapezoid properties and formulas
- Formulas and theorems of midsegments
- Parallelogram shapes
- Definition of a rhombus
- Construction and properties of rectangles
- Properties of squares
- The theorems and properties of parallelograms
1. How to Measure the Angles of a Polygon & Find the Sum
Watch this video lesson to learn the one formula that lets you find the measure of angles in any regular polygon. Also, learn how you can tell if you are working with a regular polygon or not.
2. Kites in Geometry: Definition and Properties
A kite in geometry looks a lot like a kite in the sky! Watch this video lesson to see for yourself. Also, learn about the side and angle properties of kites that make them unique.
3. Trapezoid: Definition, Properties & Formulas
A trapezoid has one pair of parallel sides. Learn more about the properties and formulas of trapezoids in this lesson. A quiz following the lesson will allow you to solidify what you've learned.
4. What Is a Rhombus? - Definition and Properties
Watch this video lesson to learn why rhombuses are a special type of quadrilateral. Also, learn why a rhombus is also a parallelogram. Watch as we explore the sides and angles of a rhombus.
5. Rectangles: Definition, Properties & Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn a bit about rectangles. Learn why rectangles are the building blocks of many homes. Also, learn about the properties that make a rectangle unique from other shapes. Finally, learn how you can draw one.
6. Squares: Definition and Properties
Squares can be found in many places in the real world. Watch this video lesson to see how useful they can be and also to learn how to find the perimeter and area of a square.
7. Parallelograms: Definition, Properties, and Proof Theorems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can identify parallelograms. You will see the unique properties that belong to the parallelogram. You will see the special side and angle characteristics needed to prove a certain shape is a parallelogram.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Discovering Geometry An Investigative Approach: Online Help course
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 1: Introducing Geometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning in Geometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 3: Using Tools of Geometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 4: Discovering and Proving Triangle Properties
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 6: Discovering and Proving Circle Properties
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 7: Transformations and Tessellations
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 8: Area
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 9: The Pythagorean Theorem
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 10: Volume
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 11: Similarity
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 12: Trigonometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 13: Geometry as a Mathematical System