About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Area chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the mathematical concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- How to measure the area of a rectangle
- How to calculate the area of a parallelogram
- How to calculate the area of rectangles and triangles
- How to figure the area of a trapezoid
- How to solve the area of complex figures
- How to measure the area of polygons
- How to determine the area and circumference of circles
- The meaning of the arc length of a sector
- How to calculate the area of a segment, annulus and sector of a circle
- The definition of a surface area
1. Measuring the Area of a Rectangle: Formula & Examples
Look around you, and you see rectangles all over the place. And if you see paint, carpet, or anything that covers a rectangular area, you can be sure that someone has measured the area of the rectangle. Watch this video lesson to learn more.
2. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
3. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
4. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
5. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
6. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
7. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
8. Arc Length of a Sector: Definition and Area
In this lesson, we'll slice up a circle like it's a pizza and learn how to find out useful information about our slices. We'll find out the area of these sectors, or pie slices. We'll also learn about arc lengths.
9. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Discovering Geometry An Investigative Approach: Online Help course
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 1: Introducing Geometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning in Geometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 3: Using Tools of Geometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 4: Discovering and Proving Triangle Properties
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 5: Discovering and Proving Polygon Properties
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 6: Discovering and Proving Circle Properties
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 7: Transformations and Tessellations
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 9: The Pythagorean Theorem
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 10: Volume
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 11: Similarity
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 12: Trigonometry
- Discovering Geometry Chapter 13: Geometry as a Mathematical System