About This Chapter
Discussing Community in Spanish - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Certain types of words might come in handy when trying to discuss typical community volunteer work. In this chapter, the well-informed instructor will present vocabulary words and select verbs that might be used by community volunteers. In addition to being introduced to those key words through these video lessons, you can also practice your reading comprehension with Spanish text and also acquire reinforcement through listening exercises. At the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with the following:
- Key Spanish terms that may be used by volunteer workers
- Conjugations for several irregular verbs in various tenses
- Readings in Spanish about working for a volunteer organization
- Spanish conversations concerning typical volunteer work
|Spanish Vocabulary: Volunteer Work Terms||Learn vocabulary pertaining to the community and volunteer work, including hospital, comunidad, ayudar and voluntario.|
|Present & Preterite Tenses of Decir in Spanish||Become familiar with the preterite and present tenses of the irregular verb decir.|
|Irregular Verbs Dar & Hacer: Preterite Tense & Conjugation in Spanish||Conjugate the irregular verbs hacer and dar in the preterite tense.|
|Spanish Reading Exercise: Passages About Habitat for Humanity||Read about Habitat for Humanity projects in Spanish.|
|Spanish Practice Activity: Listening to Conversations About Volunteering||Listen to speakers talking about their community volunteer experiences in Spanish.|
1. Spanish Vocabulary: Volunteer Work Terms
In this lesson, we will learn useful vocabulary related to community and volunteer work. We will also listen to a conversation to gain context for the use of the new vocabulary.
2. Present & Preterite Tenses of Decir in Spanish
In this lesson, we will learn how to conjugate and use the verb decir in Spanish in the present and preterite tenses. This is an irregular verb that is commonly used. We will also practice vocabulary related to community and volunteer work.
3. Irregular Verbs Dar & Hacer: Preterite Tense & Conjugation in Spanish
In this lesson, we will learn how to conjugate and use the Spanish verbs 'dar' and 'hacer' in the preterite tense. We will also practice vocabulary related to community and volunteer work.
4. Spanish Reading Exercise: Passages About Habitat for Humanity
In this lesson, we will practice vocabulary about volunteer and community work using mainly the preterite tense and practice using verbs like decir (to say/tell), dar (to give), and hacer (to do/make).
5. Spanish Practice Activity: Listening to Conversations About Volunteering
In this lesson, we will listen to people discussing their volunteer experiences last year while we practice community vocabulary, and the verbs dar, decir, and hacer in the preterite tense.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Spanish 101: Beginning Spanish course
- Greetings & Introductions in Spanish
- Describing People in Spanish
- Locations in Spanish: Vocabulary & Grammar
- Household Terms in Spanish
- Weather and Seasons in Spanish
- Spanish Numbers
- Days & Dates in Spanish
- Telling Time in Spanish
- Likes and Dislikes in Spanish
- AR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense Conjugation and Vocabulary List
- ER and IR Verbs in Spanish: Present Tense
- Pastimes in Spanish
- Technology in Spanish
- Talking About Family Members in Spanish
- Shopping in Spanish
- Discussing the Past in Spanish
- Talking About Vacations in Spanish
- TV, Movies & Media in Spanish
- Discussing Natural Disasters/Emergencies in Spanish
- As a Child in Spanish
- Spanish Fables
- Required Assignments for Spanish 101
- Studying for Spanish 101