About This Chapter
Discussing Food with ELL Students - Chapter Summary
In this fun chapter, our instructors present ways to teach your ELL students about food, healthy eating and more. This chapter includes lesson plans on healthy eating and the grocery store, plus questions to prompt discussions about healthy eating and dialogues your students are likely to use in a restaurant. Our teaching resources are designed by professional instructors who know how to effectively teach ELL students using strategies that are proven to work in the classroom.
How It Helps
- Puts knowledge into action: These resources will give your students specific information they can successfully use in real-world situations.
- Encourages participation: Use the discussion questions to get your students thinking about what it means to eat healthy and how these concepts can apply to them.
- Simplifies planning: With these constructed and focused lesson plans, you'll have resources available to you to easily update your curriculum or bring in something new.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning food discussions with ELL students easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific food topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your ELL class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related food lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important food concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant food-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. ESL Food Vocabulary Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, ELL students will be introduced to food vocabulary. They will build their knowledge from looking at real world representations of the vocabulary, illustrating and writing the vocabulary and drawing connections between words.
2. ESL Food Vocabulary: Word List & Games
Building vocabulary is an essential part of learning English, but how can you make it interesting for students? In this lesson, you'll learn how to spice up your teaching with some fun activities for learning food-related vocabulary words.
3. ESL Conversation Questions About Food
Food is one of the topics that ESL (English as a Second Language) students love to talk about. In this lesson, teachers are provided with food-related conversation questions for ESL classroom use.
4. ESL Healthy Eating Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, ELL students will investigate the elements of healthy eating. First, they will generate ideas from a text and from their own experiences. Next, they will evaluate the healthiness of an eating choice. Last, they will create a bumper sticker to persuade others to eat healthy.
5. Healthy Eating Questions for ESL Students
Your ESL class includes topics that educate students about good habits, and healthy eating is one of them. This lesson includes questions about this topic so your students can either discuss or write their answers.
6. ESL Grocery Store Lesson Plan
Teach your English as a Second Language (ESL) students vocabulary related to the grocery store with this lesson plan. Several activities, games, and lessons are provided to teach your students these important words.
7. ESL Kitchen Vocabulary Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will identify several kitchen objects by name. They will view real-world examples of these items, engage in collaborative conversations using the vocabulary and use what they have learned in a detailed illustration.
8. ESL Writing A Recipe Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help ELL's learn how to write a recipe. Students will practice writing in logical order and using appropriate vocabulary through a hands-on model experience.
9. ESL Restaurant Lesson Plan
In this lesson, teachers are provided with individual and group activities designed to teach English as a Second Language learners about restaurant related phrases and vocabulary.
10. ESL Restaurant Dialogues
This lesson provides you with restaurant dialogue samples that will help ESL students grasp language needed to dine out using the English language. Each dialogue can be used to practice any of the four language skills: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
11. ESL Fast Food Vocabulary
In this lesson, you'll learn how to choose vocabulary about fast foods for your ESL students. We'll go over some specific vocabulary words and activities you can use to practice them with your students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Activities & Resources for Teaching ELL course
- ESL Vocabulary for Business & Life Skills
- Discussing Business & World Issues with ESL Students
- Discussing Culture & Health with ESL Students
- Discussing Travel with ELL Students
- Discussing Relationships & Family with ELL Students
- Movies & Drama for ELL Students
- ESL Holiday Lessons & Activities
- ESL Vocabulary for Holidays & Time of Year
- World Cultures for ELL Students