About This Chapter
Discussing Health & Safety in Spanish - Chapter Summary
Learn how to discuss safety and health topics in Spanish in these fun text and video lessons. You can work at your own pace, and if you want to review a certain section of the video lessons, use the timeline tabs to jump right to that spot. As a great test prep exercise, each lesson is accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz you can use to test your knowledge. It's easy to make helpful vocabulary lists and study guides with the printable lesson transcripts. Once you complete this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Use Spanish to describe the parts of the body
- Describe health and hospital topics in Spanish
- Use the imperfect progressive and the preterite tenses in Spanish conversation
- Follow along with conversations about events that happened the previous night and discussions between patients and doctors
- Utilize the imperfect and preterite tenses in context and while describing people, things and events
1. The Parts of the Body in Spanish
Head and shoulders, knees and toes! Learn how to say body parts in this Spanish vocabulary lesson, from la cabeza to los dedos del pie and everything in between. Then, gain some practice by saying what body parts you use to do certain activities.
2. Spanish Vocabulary: Terms Related to Health & Hospitals
What sorts of vocabulary would you need to know if you had to go to the doctor or to the hospital in a Spanish-speaking country? Words like cough, fever, or injury? In this lesson, you will be learning how to say these and other words in Spanish.
3. The Imperfect Progressive Tense in Spanish
What are you doing right now? What were you doing half an hour ago? In this lesson, you will learn how to answer both of these questions in Spanish as we review the present progressive and then learn how to form and use the imperfect progressive.
4. Conversations About Last Night: Spanish Practice Activity
What were you doing last night between 8 and 9pm? In this lesson, you will brush up on the past tenses in Spanish, and especially, the imperfect progressive. You will hear different texts and answer questions to test your comprehension.
5. Preterite Versus Imperfect in Spanish: Differences & Rules
This lesson refers to the specific differences between the preterite and the imperfect tenses. Along with those differences, you will find specific rules that determine the use of each tense.
6. Practice Preterite and Imperfect in Context
In this lesson, you will see how preterite and imperfect work together to tell a story: imperfect provides background information and descriptions, while preterite tells what happened. You'll also be using these tenses yourself to help tell a story.
7. Spanish Grammar: Describing People and Things Using the Imperfect and Preterite
Like in English, preterite and imperfect tenses in Spanish are not interchangeable. In this lesson, you will be learning how to correctly use the preterite and imperfect to describe things and people.
8. Spanish Grammar: Imperfect vs. Preterite for Events and Actions
In Spanish, the preterite and the imperfect are both used to talk about the past, but they cannot be used interchangeably. In this lesson, you will learn when to use the preterite and when to use the imperfect when talking about actions and events.
9. Practice Activity: Listen to Patient & Doctor Discussions in Spanish
What do you do when you're sick or hurt? Make an appointment with the doctor or go to the emergency room? In this lesson, you will be listening to two dialogues in which patients discuss their health problems with doctors and nurses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Spanish 102: Intermediate Spanish course
- Discussing Daily Activities in Spanish
- Formal & Informal Spanish Imperatives
- Describing Future School Plans in Spanish
- Giving & Asking for Advice in Spanish
- Discussing Politics & Government in Spanish
- Discussing Work & Employment in Spanish
- Discussing Social Life & Relationships in Spanish
- Discussing Nature & the Environment in Spanish
- Discussing City Life in Spanish
- Visiting a Restaurant in Spanish
- Shopping & Negotiating Price in Spanish
- Clothing Vocabulary in Spanish
- Discussing Art & Culture in Spanish
- Required Assignments for Spanish 102
- Studying for Spanish 102