About This Chapter
Fractions for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
If you are the parent or teacher of elementary school-aged students, and would like to help them learn about different diseases and illnesses, you can have them read through the online text lessons included in this chapter. These lessons are each specifically designed to provide young children with age-appropriate overviews of different diseases and other related topics. Students will have an easy time understanding these topics, thanks to the chapter's convenient online format and the extensive teaching experience of our lesson instructors. These lessons can be used either as homework or preparation for upcoming classroom tests on different types of human diseases. Once your child or student has completed a specific lesson, you can have him or her answer the questions found in that lesson's practice quiz, to ensure that he or she has accurately understood that particular topic. Upon finishing the entire lesson, your child can also take the chapter's final exam to go over the most important points on this subject.
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with diseases and illnesses will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about different types of diseases.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding different human diseases
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about diseases and illnesses
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning biology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about diseases
- Students who struggle to understand their health teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra health resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover disease and illness topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about different diseases.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands diseases and illnesses by completing the Diseases and Illnesses for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Polio Facts: Lesson for Kids
Polio is an infection caused by a virus that is still found in some parts of the world, but we have a vaccine that can prevent it. This lesson will teach you about the polio infection.
2. Diabetes Facts: Lesson for Kids
You might have heard that diabetes has something to do with sugar. Read this lesson to learn some facts about diabetes like what diabetes is, what its connection to sugar is and what the different types of diabetes are.
3. What is Cerebral Palsy? - Lesson for Kids
Cerebral palsy is a set of disorders that affects the part of the brain that controls balance, movement, and muscles. Come learn about cerebral palsy, the different categories of the disorder, and some other interesting facts about it.
4. What is Dyslexia? - Lesson for Kids
Dyslexia is a language-based disability that affects almost 1 in 5 people. The main result of dyslexia is trouble reading. This lesson will explain what dyslexia is, some of the symptoms, and how people with dyslexia learn.
5. Famous People with Dyslexia: Lesson for Kids
Do you ever wonder if famous people were always popular or if they ever found things difficult? Well, the answer is that many famous people have struggled. In this lesson, you will learn what dyslexia is and which famous people have dyslexia.
6. Skin Diseases Lesson for Kids
Your skin is an amazing organ that performs vital functions for you every day, but sometimes your skin gets sick. In this lesson, learn about the different kinds of diseases that affect the skin.
7. Pink Eye Lesson for Kids
Have you ever had watery, itchy, pink eyes? You might have had the very common condition called pink eye. In this lesson, learn what pink eye is and what causes pink eye.
8. Heart Disease Lesson for Kids: Facts & Information
Did you know that heart disease affects hundreds of thousands of Americans every year? Come and learn about what heart disease is, its causes, symptoms and what you can do to prevent heart disease.
9. Lyme Disease Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we will clear up any confusion about the mysterious sickness known as Lyme disease. We will explore the symptoms, cause, treatment and prevention to enhance your understanding of this illness.
10. Respiratory Diseases: Lesson for Kids
Did you know that we use our respiratory system every minute of the day? So, when something goes wrong, it can cause problems for our body. This lesson will describe a few common respiratory diseases that you should know about.
11. Celiac Disease Lesson for Kids
Have you ever picked up a bag of potato chips and seen a label that says 'gluten free' on it? Find out why this information is important to people with celiac disease and how celiac disease affects the body.
12. Pneumonia Lesson for Kids
Has someone warned you not to play outside in the cold without a jacket and said you will catch pneumonia? In this lesson, you will learn what pneumonia is, what causes pneumonia (hint: it isn't cold air!), and pneumonia's symptoms.
13. The Black Death Lesson for Kids: Facts & Symptoms
It wiped out over one-third of Europe's population as it rapidly spread across the continent. What was it? In this lesson, you'll find out about the devastation known as the Black Death.
14. Skin Cancer Facts: Lesson for Kids
Our skin is an amazingly strong organ, but like all our body parts it too can get sick. In this lesson, learn the three most common types of skin cancer and tips for reducing the risk of developing skin cancer.
15. Chickenpox Facts: Lesson for Kids
Chickenpox is a disease, also known as varicella, that can be very serious to children's health. In this lesson, you will learn about what chickenpox is, its dangers, and how it may be avoided.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology for Kids course
- Animals for Elementary School
- Biology Basics for Elementary School
- Fruit & Vegetable Facts for Elementary School
- Parts of the Human Body for Elementary School
- Plants & Animals for Elementary School
- Cell Biology for Elementary School
- Health for Elementary School
- Early Humans for Elementary School
- Ecosystems for Elementary School