About This Chapter
Diseases of the Central Nervous System - Chapter Summary
When dealing with diseases of the central nervous system, you will come across many long and hard-to-pronounce terms referring to specific types of diseases and conditions. The text lessons contained in this chapter expand your understanding of these diseases by providing detailed information about disease origins, key term meanings and pronunciations, symptoms and treatment options. Short, engaging lessons take only minutes to review and allow you to study at your own pace. Access these lessons 24/7 from any device or print out to create convenient reference materials. After you review this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the diagnosis and treatment of cryptococcosis and brain abscesses
- List the symptoms of lyme neuroborreliosis
- Define and provide the pathology of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis
- Give details about the symptoms and treatment of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Provide details about the history, cause, transmission and treatment of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
- Discuss facts about fatal familial insomnia and Sydenham's Chorea
- Explain the history of African trypanosomiasis
1. What is Cryptococcosis in Humans? - Cutaneous & Pulmonary
Cryptococcosis is a fungal disease that impacts several areas of the body. This lesson will provide details on how this disease impacts the skin and lungs of an infected person.
2. Cryptococcosis In Humans: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
Cryptococcosis is a potentially fatal disease that is caused by two different types of fungus. Continue reading this lesson to learn all about the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of this fungal disease.
3. What is a Brain Abscess? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
In this lesson, we'll discuss the basics about brain abscesses. We'll learn what brain abscesses are, what causes them, and what to look for as symptoms.
4. Brain Abscesses: Diagnosis, Treatment & Prognosis
This lesson defines and discusses brain abscesses. You'll learn how they are diagnosed, what treatment options are available, as well as the general prognosis for brain abscesses.
5. Lyme Neuroborreliosis: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
Lyme neuroborreliosis is a neurological condition that negatively impacts the central nervous system. This lesson will provide the reader with interesting information about the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of this disorder.
6. Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis: Definition & Pathology
This lesson will briefly define a condition known as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis. You'll then go over the gross pathology of this disease as well as the histology of this condition.
7. Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy: Symptoms & Treatment
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy is an infection of the nervous system that is caused by a virus that is found in most people. Continue reading to learn more about this condition, including its symptoms and treatment.
8. What is Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease? - Definition, Cause & Transmission
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the brain disease Creutzfeldt-Jakob. Here, we'll go over what the disease is, what causes it and how it is transmitted between people.
9. Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease: Symptoms, Treatment & Life Expectancy
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is fairly rare, but extremely serious brain disorder. This lesson will give you the opportunity to learn about the symptoms and treatment options for a person with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease as well life expectancy.
10. The History of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
Are you going mad trying to understand Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (or just how to pronounce it)? In this lesson, we will discuss the history of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
11. What is Fatal Familial Insomnia? - Definition, Stages & History
Fatal familial insomnia (FFI) is a deadly condition caused by a protein mutation. Read this lesson to learn more about FFI and the stages of disease progression.
12. Fatal Familial Insomnia: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the rare genetic disorder, fatal familial insomnia. By the end of this lesson, you'll understand what symptoms arise from this disorder, what causes the disorder and research into treatments.
13. Sydenham's Chorea: Symptoms & Treatment
Sydenham's chorea is a neurological symptom associated with rheumatic fever. In this lesson, you will learn more about Sydenham's chorea symptoms and treatment.
14. History of African Trypanosomiasis (African Sleeping Sickness)
This lesson goes over the fascinating and very long history of African trypanosomiasis, commonly known as the sleeping sickness. You'll learn how long it's been around and its earliest recorded occurrences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease