About This Chapter
Diseases & the Immune System - Chapter Summary
Study facts about the body's defense mechanisms, the causes, spread and prevention of various types of diseases and the role of viruses in this chapter on diseases and the human immune system. See how medical science is working to prevent the spread of disease through the population.
You will enhance your understanding of how the human immune system works, how diseases are transmitted and examine the types of immune-deficiency diseases that afflict people today. The lessons discuss the topics in the list below and more:
- The human immune system and adaptive immunity
- Overview and structure of viruses
- Disease control measures
- How diseases are spread
- Types and explanation of immune deficiency diseases
- STD's: general information and how to reduce risk
The combination of our video lessons and the accompanying transcripts, lesson quizzes, chapter tests and access to instructors and subject-matter specialists provides you with a powerful study tool specifically designed to enable you to work efficiently. You have full control over which part of each lesson you want to watch, the pace at which you choose to work and when you wish to schedule your study sessions. Our program is fully available online, which places the lessons at your fingertips 24/7. It is accessible via smartphone, laptop, notebook or tablet computer, so you can work from any device in any location that allows Internet access.
1. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
2. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
3. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
4. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
5. The Spread of Disease: Endemic, Epidemic & Pandemic
This lesson will talk about what an endemic disease is and how it is different from an epidemic. We'll also discuss how an epidemic differs from something known as a pandemic. Finally, we'll look at some examples of each to help solidify these points.
6. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
7. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
8. Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections
This lesson will describe for you the many ways by which you can help prevent a terrible STD from affecting your body, including abstinence, mutual monogamy, and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Health (043): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Understanding Emotional & Mental Health
- Factors Affecting Social Health
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family & Peer Relationships
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Understanding Health Care
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Exercise & Your Body
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Learning Assessments
- The Government's Role in Public Education
- Health Education Strategies
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Health Advocacy & Information Resources
- Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- MTTC Health Flashcards