About This Chapter
Dispersion & Frequency Distributions in Statistics - Chapter Summary
In this informative statistics chapter, you could learn about normal distribution, also known as the bell curve, and find out why this distribution is so important. Lessons cover the different kinds of random variables as well as both relative frequency and frequency tables. Other important topics include the measures of central tendency and their use specifically in the field of psychology. Once you complete these lessons, you will be ready to:
- Explain what it means for a graph to have skew
- Use regression analysis to understand data
- Analyze large amounts of information using cumulative frequency tables
- Name the different measures of variability
Watch our short video lessons as quick and easy learning tools, and then take the self-assessment quizzes to see how well you understood. You can jump to any section of a video lesson by using the video tabs feature in the Timeline. Study at any time that's convenient for you by accessing these materials on any computer, tablet or mobile phone 24 hours a day.
1. Measures of Dispersion and Skewness
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can describe your data using two different statistical characteristics. Learn what it means for your graph to have variability and what it means for your graph to be skewed.
2. Normal Distribution: Definition, Properties, Characteristics & Example
In this lesson, we will look at the Normal Distribution, more commonly known as the Bell Curve. We'll look at some of its fascinating properties and learn why it is one of the most important distributions in the study of data.
3. Regression Analysis: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn about regression analysis and how you can use it to help you analyze and better understand data that you receive from surveys or observations. Learn what is involved in regression analysis and what to look out for.
4. Random Variables: Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson defines the term random variables in the context of probability. You'll learn about certain properties of random variables and the different types of random variables.
5. Frequency & Relative Frequency Tables: Definition & Examples
Frequency and relative frequency tables are a good way to visualize information. This is especially useful for information that is grouped into categories where you are looking for popularity or mode.
6. Cumulative Frequency Tables: Definition, Uses & Examples
Cumulative frequency tables can help you analyze and understand large amounts of information. In this lesson, you practice creating and interpreting cumulative frequency tables.
7. Central Tendency: Measures, Definition & Examples
Explore the measures of central tendency. Learn more about mean, median, and mode and how they are used in the field of psychology. At the end, test your knowledge with a short quiz.
8. Variability in Statistics: Definition & Measures
Variability is a measure of the spread of a data set. Learn more about the different measures of variability including the range, variance, and standard deviation, and the way in which they are used in the field of psychology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Expressions & Reasoning in Math
- Complex Numbers & Polynomials in Algebra
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions Overview
- Mathematical Sequences & Series Overview
- Series & Sequences Application
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Equations
- Binomial Theorem Overview
- Overview of Matrices & Determinants
- Sets & Relations in Math
- Introduction to Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities Overview
- Real World Trigonometric Applications
- Operating with Functions
- Solving Inequalities
- Two-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Straight Lines & Angles in Coordinate Geometry
- Circular Arc & Circles in Coordinate Geometry
- Conic Sections in Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Limits & Continuity in Differential Calculus
- Calculating Derivatives
- Differentiable Functions & Min-Max Problems
- Differentiability in Integral Calculus
- Overview of Probability in Calculus
- Vectors & Scalars in Math
- Linear Programming & Systems of Equations
- Definite Integrals
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Modeling Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Math Flashcards