About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Dissociative Disorders in Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Dissociative disorders overview||Historical and current views of dissociative disorders|
|Tuesday||Dissociative amnesia||Definitions, causes and treatment of this unusual form of memory loss|
|Wednesday||Dissociative fugue|| Definitions, causes and treatment|
Occupational impairment, identity confusion and other criteria
|Thursday||Multiple personalities|| Definition, causes and treatment|
Presentation of two or more personalities, memory loss, childhood emotional abuse
|Friday||Dissociative depersonalization disorder|| Definition, causes and treatment|
Reality testing, feelings of detachment
1. Dissociative Disorders: Amnesia, Dissociative Fugue & Split Personalities
There are times when the human brain can actually separate its different parts, sometimes as a defense mechanism. These are known as dissociative disorders. This lesson takes a closer look at these kinds of disorders and how they impact the mind.
2. What is Dissociative Amnesia? - Definition and Symptoms
People respond to problems differently. Sometimes, people respond to trauma by losing part or all of their memory. In this lesson, we'll look at the symptoms, types, and treatments of dissociative amnesia.
3. Dissociative Fugue: Definition, Causes and Treatment
In some rare cases, people forget who they are, move across the country, and assume a completely new life. What could cause something like that to happen? In this lesson, we'll look at dissociative fugue, including diagnosis, causes, and treatments.
4. Multiple Personalities Disorder: Symptoms & Summary
In this lesson, you will learn how difficult life is for someone suffering from the rare and serious mental disorder once known as multiple personality disorder. We'll also explore its symptoms, causes and treatments, and why there's a controversy over it in the psychological community.
5. Dissociative Depersonalization Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
Imagine what it would be like to be outside your body, watching your own life like a movie. In this lesson, we'll look at the symptoms, causes, and treatments of a psychological disorder that's just like that: dissociative depersonalization disorder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Research Methods Lesson Plans
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- The Biological Model of Abnormality Lesson Plans
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Diathesis-Stress Model Lesson Plans
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders Lesson Plans
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Lesson Plans
- Substance Use Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Psychotic Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life-Span Development Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Factitious Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans