About This Chapter
Diversity at Work - Chapter Summary
If you wish to learn about the different issues relating to diversity in work environments, you can watch the video lessons contained in this chapter to study up on key information. Each lesson is dedicated to a different type of diversity or diversity-related issue that is essential for a thorough understanding of this subject as a whole.
You will explore impediments to diversity, and ways in which work environments can become more diverse. The instructors of these lessons will go through all information on these topics point-by-point, so you will feel comfortable with your understanding upon completing the chapter. By watching these lessons, you should be able to:
- Define diversity as it applies to work environments
- Identify different kinds of diversity and groups that may be under-represented
- Recognize challenges to workplace diversity
- Understand your own perceptions in relation to diversity
- Implement strategies for improving diversity in your own workplace
The video tags in these lessons will allow you to return to specific points in the videos that contain especially pertinent information in the future. The chapter also offers transcripts of each lesson if you wish to have a hard copy of the information presented. Once you have completed the lessons, make sure that you test your knowledge of some of the topics by taking the chapter's practice quizzes.
1. What is Diversity? - Definition & Meaning
This lesson defines the word diversity. It also gives examples of both visible and invisible diversity. Some examples of understanding diversity and why it is important are also discussed.
2. Individual Diversity: Biographical & Demographical Characteristics
Biological and demographic characteristics such as age, gender, race and length of tenure are easily acquired through work documents, and these characteristics can help predict how individuals will behave at work.
3. What is Workforce Diversity? - Definition & Issues
Workforce diversity is a valuable asset for any business that seeks a competitive advantage in the global economy. Learn about the issues associated with workforce diversity and take a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. Cultural Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Cultural diversity is a form of appreciating the differences in individuals. The differences can be based on gender, age, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and social status. Companies have realized the value in acquiring a diverse workforce.
5. Gender Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Gender diversity deals with equal representation of men and women in the workplace. In this lesson, we will explore trends and issues with gender diversity in the modern workforce.
6. Age Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Age diversity is the ability to accept all different types of ages within a business environment. Companies have to adjust to an aging population in various ways.
7. Ability and Disability Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Everyone has both strengths and limitations, and it is the diversity of these things that makes for a great workplace. In this lesson, we'll examine ability and disability diversity in the workplace, including the ADA and sensitivity training.
8. Religious Diversity in the Workplace: Definition & Laws
Religion is important to many people. In a perfect world, the workplace would not interfere with religious freedom. However, because the two often intertwine, laws and regulations have been created to protect employees.
9. Sexual Orientation Discrimination in the Workplace: Definition, Laws & Cases
In this lesson you will learn about sexual orientation discrimination. We'll also cover the laws that were created to protect individuals based on their sexual orientation as well as court cases surrounding discrimination in the workplace.
10. Socioeconomic Diversity in the Workplace
Successful companies know the benefits of employing a diverse workforce. In this lesson, we will describe what socioeconomic diversity means in the workplace and the responsibility managers have to individuals of all backgrounds.
11. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
12. Factors that Influence Perception in the Workplace
Perception is something that each of us deals with. It has long been said that perception is reality, and in many ways it is. In this lesson we will discuss how factors that influence perception can impact our workplace.
13. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Strategic Planning in Business
- Business Missions & Goals
- Building Strategy in Business
- Value Chain Management
- Improving Customer Relations
- Improving Quality in Business
- Improving Efficiency in Business
- Improving Innovation in Business
- Project Management Definition & Skills
- Managing Structure & Culture in Business
- Building Teams & Work Groups
- Human Resources & Hiring
- Training & Assessment in an Organization
- Overview of Workplace Pay & Benefits
- Coaching & Feedback in the Workplace
- Career Business Networking
- Mentoring at Work
- Holding Productive Meetings
- CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager Flashcards