About This Chapter
Diversity in Development & Learning - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons look at how educators can help diverse learners. You'll discuss how culture brokers and community liaisons offer assistance to educators working with diverse learners. Another lesson explores the ways bias can influence decision making, outcomes and behavior of students. At the end of the chapter the instructor will have demonstrated what is meant by social justice, described social justice issues, and provided several examples. You'll look at why fairness and equality is important in education. After completing these lessons, you'll be ready to:
- Discuss how working with community liaisons and culture brokers can benefit educators
- Define bias and show how to identify it
- Explain why promoting social justice is important
- Show ways that educators can ensure fairness in services and programs
You'll enjoy learning with these brief video lessons. Each contains a multiple-choice quiz so you can assess what you've learned and see where you need more study. Video tags allow you to quickly locate specific passages in the lesson. Written transcripts of the lessons are also provided.
1. Culture Brokers & Community Liaisons: Aiding Diverse Learners
In this lesson, you will learn about the effectiveness of using culture brokers and community liaisons to reduce barriers and help students from various backgrounds achieve greater academic success.
2. How Bias Influences Decision Making, Instruction, Behavior & Outcomes for Students
Bias is the way your mind colors your experiences. When you expect a person or situation to be a certain way, you tend to see it that way, and this can affect the way you act. In this article, we will explore the impact that bias has on students.
3. What Is Social Justice? - Definition, Issues & Examples
You often hear people talking about the importance of social justice, but what is meant by it? This lesson takes a look at the overall idea of social justice while providing examples to explain just what it is.
4. Issues & Definition of Social Justice in Education
Social justice is an important aspect of education in today's society. This lesson will offer a definition of social justice and will familiarize you with a number of issues pertaining to social justice in education.
5. Assimilation and Piaget: Definition, Theory & Process
Assimilation is an important building block for how we organize our learning. Learn what assimilation is, discover how it is used in practical situations and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis School Psychologist (5402): Practice & Study Guide course
- Problem Identification in School Psychology
- Theories of Intelligence
- Developmental Psychology & Measurement
- Assessment & Problem Analysis in School Psychology
- Knowledge of Measurement Theory & Principles
- Psychological Assessment of Special Populations
- Psychological Consultation & Collaboration in School Settings
- Developing Academic Skills
- Goal Setting & Student Motivation
- Academic Success & Failure
- Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Preventive Strategies for the Classroom
- School-Based Intervention & Techniques
- Child & Adolescent Psychopathology
- School-wide Practices to Promote Learning
- Preventive & Responsive Schools Services
- Family-School Collaboration Services
- Individual Learning Characteristics
- Effect of Cultural & Background Differences on Education
- Education Research & Program Evaluation
- Ethical Principles in Psychology
- Legal Issues in Psychology
- Case Law in Education Psychology
- Professional Foundations: Learning Strategies
- Praxis School Psychologist Flashcards