About This Chapter
Diversity Issues in School Counseling - Chapter Summary
Your review of counseling for different gender types, impact of culture shock on education, and other related topics can be quick and interesting with this chapter full of text and video lessons. Short quizzes are also provided at the end of each lesson to enable you to quiz yourself on the concepts you've reviewed. In all, this chapter will help you review the following topics:
- Biographical characteristics of individual diversity
- Definition of multicultural diversity
- Counseling for different genders
- Religious and spiritual counseling
- Impacts of socialization and culture shock on education
- Definition of student achievement
- Diversity's effects on student achievement
- Resources for ESL students
- Equality issues in school counseling
Since we know that it can be frustrating to re-watch the videos in their entirety to review certain parts, we've provided you with video tags to help you move to specific topics in the videos. The lesson transcripts will also help you review any concepts you may have missed in the videos. You also have the opportunity to send questions to the instructors if you have questions along the way.
1. Individual Diversity: Biographical & Demographical Characteristics
Biological and demographic characteristics such as age, gender, race and length of tenure are easily acquired through work documents, and these characteristics can help predict how individuals will behave at work.
2. What is Multicultural Counseling?
Multicultural awareness is very important in counseling. This lesson will tell you what multicultural counseling involves and how to be an effective multicultural counselor. We'll follow a school counselor as he prepares himself for a new role with culturally diverse students.
3. Counseling Across Gender
How does gender impact counseling? Should counselors approach clients of different genders differently? In this lesson, we'll look at some of the challenges with regards to counseling across gender lines and the impact of gender roles on mental health.
4. Religious and Spiritual Development in Counseling
Religious or spiritual discussions do not just happen in churches. This lesson looks into spiritual and religious counseling done by therapists and why it is of interest to clients.
5. The Effect of Culture, Socialization & Culture Shock on Education
In this lesson we will explore the effect of culture on the socialization of children. We will also seek to understand the impact that culture has on their educational experiences.
6. Student Achievement: Definition, Factors & Research
What is student achievement? This lesson provides a general definition of student achievement, defines factors that impact a student's ability to achieve and explains what research shows about successful student achievement.
7. How Diversity Influences Student Achievement
Diversity can be defined as the differences among people. In this lesson, we'll learn how poverty, social class, culture, and ethnicity can impact student achievement.
8. Resources for Supporting ESL Students
Students who do not speak English as a primary language have unique challenges in their education. In this lesson, we are going to look at resources and methods teachers can use to support these students.
9. Student Diversity & Equality Issues in School Counseling
In this lesson you will learn about the equality issues that school counselors face and strategies that can be implemented to identify and help eliminate inequality in schools.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - School Psychologist (042): Practice & Study Guide course
- Theories of Human Development
- Language & Social Development
- Mental Health Issues & Disorders
- Basics of Developmental Learning Theories
- Preparing for Diverse Learning Environments
- Encouraging Learning through School-Wide Practices
- Curriculum Strategy & Development
- Forms & Methods of Assessment of Learning
- Learning Assessment Issues
- Crisis Intervention Considerations for School Counselors
- Counseling Individuals & Groups
- Providing Effective Career Counseling
- Providing Effective College Counseling
- Theories & Methods of Counseling
- Creating Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- Research & Data Collection
- Researching & Evaluating Education Programs
- Elements of Effective Communication
- Visual Representation of Information
- Communicating via Technology
- Communication & Collaboration
- Psychological Consultation & Collaboration in Schools
- Functions of the Guidance Counselor
- Professional Principles for School Psychologists
- Psychological Assessments for Special Populations
- Legal Issues & Government Policies
- Ohio Assessments for Educators School Psychologist Flashcards