About This Chapter
Diversity & Social Issues in Leadership - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In a globalizing world, diversity in the workplace is both important and necessary. Identifying diversity, and the different social issues it brings to the workplace, is essential to organizational behavior. In this chapter, you will learn the to define diversity and its trends. Instructors will guide you through short video lessons that focus on differences like gender, sexual orientation and age. You can also take quizzes throughout the chapter to test yourself on the material. The topics in this chapter include:
- Diversity in a global setting
- Definitions, trends and examples of different types of diversity
- The benefits of diversity training
- Business case studies in diversity
|Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations||Summarize diversity in a global workplace.|
|Cultural Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples||Explain what it means to have a diverse workplace and how it can be an advantage.|
|Gender Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples||Analyze gender diversity and its trends.|
|Age Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples||Survey age diversity and how companies are adjusting to include all ages in the workplace.|
|Sexual Orientation Diversity in the Workplace||Break down sexual orientation diversity and the different laws that impact it.|
|Ability and Disability Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples||Outline the trends in ability and disability diversity in the workplace.|
|Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business||Consider what diversity training is and how it is used to improve working environments.|
|Business Case Study: Diversity at Hewlett-Packard||Analyze Hewlett-Packard's diversity as a case study.|
|Business Case Study: Cox Media Group Diversity Council Summit||Evaluate Cox Media Group's Diversity Council Summit as a case study.|
1. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
2. Cultural Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Cultural diversity is a form of appreciating the differences in individuals. The differences can be based on gender, age, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and social status. Companies have realized the value in acquiring a diverse workforce.
3. Gender Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Gender diversity deals with equal representation of men and women in the workplace. In this lesson, we will explore trends and issues with gender diversity in the modern workforce.
4. Age Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Age diversity is the ability to accept all different types of ages within a business environment. Companies have to adjust to an aging population in various ways.
5. Sexual Orientation Diversity in the Workplace
Sexual orientation has received a lot of attention in the news and courts, but all types of diversity generally have. In this lesson, we'll learn how this impacts the workplace and what managers should know to ensure they respect a diverse workforce.
6. Ability and Disability Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Everyone has both strengths and limitations, and it is the diversity of these things that makes for a great workplace. In this lesson, we'll examine ability and disability diversity in the workplace, including the ADA and sensitivity training.
7. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
8. Business Case Study: Diversity at Hewlett-Packard
Hewlett-Packard's workplace diversity program is considered a model for other employers to follow. In this lesson, we look at how this pivotal part of HP's organization was developed and integrated into the company's corporate culture.
9. Business Case Study: Diversity in Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is a billion-dollar company with a multi-faceted inclusion program. The company's diversity initiative is one focused on employees, communities, customers, suppliers, and partnerships. We'll look at the components of this model program in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior course
- Overview of Organizational Behavior
- Leadership in Organizations
- Management Process & Strategy
- Personality in Organizations
- Attitudes & Values in Organizations
- Perception & Attribution in Organizations
- Employee Morale & Motivation
- Motivation Theory
- Types of Workplace Communication
- Work Teams & Group Behavior
- Team Decision Making
- Conflict in Organizations
- Organizational Structure & Design
- Job Design in Organizations
- Organizational & Company Culture
- Business Ethics & Issues
- Change in Organizations
- Globalization & Organizational Behavior
- Required Assignments for Business 307
- Studying for Business 307