About This Chapter
DNA Manipulation - Chapter Summary
What are restriction enzymes? What is the bacterial transformation process? How is DNA ligase used? These are among the topics you can learn more about when you refer to the lessons in this chapter. You will have the opportunity to review the DNA replication process and the creation of recombinant DNA. These complex topics are broken down into bits of information that are easy to study and retain. Once you are finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define and explain the functions of restriction enzymes and DNA polymerase
- Explain how ligase is used to create recombinant DNA
- List the steps involved in PCR
- Describe how electrophoresis works
- Explain the role of agarose gel electrophoresis
- Relate how bacteria is transformed
Instructors guide you through simple explanations, illustrations and examples to help simplify this complex material. Learn at your own pace and on your own schedule, as lessons are accessible from any device 24/7. Self-assessment quizzes measure the depth of your knowledge and whether you will need to continue your review of any topic in these lessons.
1. Restriction Enzymes: Function and Definition
Restriction enzymes played a critical role in the advent of genetic engineering. In this lesson, you will learn what role restriction enzymes play in creating recombinant DNA.
2. How Ligase is Used to Engineer Recombinant DNA
DNA ligase makes recombinant DNA technology possible. In this lesson, you will learn how new versions of genes can be designed for experiments in novel host organisms using DNA ligase.
3. DNA Polymerase: Definition & Function
In this lesson, you will learn about the important enzyme DNA polymerase and the role it plays in the process of DNA replication. When you are through, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. PCR: Steps Involved in Polymerase Chain Reaction
In this lesson, you will learn about the steps required to amplify DNA during PCR. The lesson will explain the role template DNA, primers, nucleotides, Taq polymerase and PCR buffer play in the denaturation, annealing and extension steps of PCR.
5. What is Agarose Gel Electrophoresis?
Agarose gel electrophoresis plays a key role in genetic engineering experiments. In this lesson, you'll learn what agarose is and how electrophoresis works. You'll also discover the use of agarose in this procedure.
6. Bacterial Transformation: Definition, Process and Genetic Engineering of E. coli
How can a plasmid be inserted into a bacterial cell? How can transformed bacteria carrying a recombinant plasmid be distinguished from untransformed counterparts? These questions and more will be answered in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards