About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the DNA Technology and Genomics chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||DNA cloning||The process of cloning and its purpose|
|Tuesday||Genomics||The definition and role of genomics|
|Wednesday||Genomic DNA analysis||The process of sequencing genomes|
|Thursday||Practical applications of DNA technology||The many uses for DNA technology, including cloning and vaccinations|
|Friday||DNA technology ethics and safety||Standards for laboratory procedures, ethical concerns of GMOs|
1. DNA Cloning: Definition and Process
DNA cloning is used for a variety of purposes, but how does it work? In this video lesson, you will learn about the process of cloning DNA, as well as see examples of how cloning is used in science, medicine, and consumer products.
2. Genomic DNA Analysis
Your genes are what make you who you are, but they also make you a human. Studying genes and genomes allows scientists to better understand not only our own species, but how we are related to other species in the world as well.
3. Practical Applications of DNA Technology
DNA technology is a field that has many applications for our everyday lives. In this video lesson, you will learn about some of the important contributions of DNA technology to industries such as medicine, agriculture and criminal investigation.
4. Ethical and Safety Concerns for DNA Technology
DNA technology is very powerful and has had positive influences on many fields and industries. However, DNA technology is not perfect. In this lesson, you will explore some of the safety and ethical concerns that people have regarding this field of study.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Fundamental Science Lesson Plans
- Basic Science Lab Skills Lesson Plans
- Inorganic Chemistry for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Requirements of Biological Systems Lesson Plans
- Cell Communication Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Cell Division for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids: DNA and RNA Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication: Processes and Steps Lesson Plans
- The Transcription and Translation Process Lesson Plans
- Genetics: Principles of Heredity Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Biology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses Lesson Plans
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth Lesson Plans
- Geologic Time for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Evolution for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction and Growth for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Fungi for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Invertebrates for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Vertebrates for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems Lesson Plans
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction and Development Lesson Plans
- Human Reproductive Systems Lesson Plans
- Ecology and the Environment Lesson Plans
- Human Effects on the Environment Lesson Plans
- Animal Behavior for High School Biology Lesson Plans
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Scientific Data for High School Biology Lesson Plans