About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Drama for 9th Grade chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||William Shakespeare's biography and works||The life of Shakespeare, Shakespeare's plays and sonnets, 'Romeo and Juliet'|
|Tuesday||Arthur Miller's life and plays||Biographical sketch of Arthur Miller, Miller's significant plays, quotes from the play 'The Crucible', analysis of the play 'Death of a Salesman'|
|Wednesday||The works of Oscar Wilde||'The Picture of Dorian Gray', 'The Importance of Being Earnest', themes in Wilde's work|
|Thursday||George Bernard Shaw - life and work||Summary of Shaw's life, major plays, social activism|
|Friday||Greek theatre||Comedy, tragedy, common themes, the role of Greek theatre on Western civilization|
1. Arthur Miller: Biography and Major Plays
In this lesson, we will talk about the life of one of America's greatest playwrights, Arthur Miller. We will take a close look at his role in the American political scene of the 1950s and give insight into some of his most influential works.
2. Arthur Miller's The Crucible: Summary and Quotes
What's Arthur Miller's play 'The Crucible' all about? Witches! Communists! Allegories! It's the Red Scare of the McCarthy era as told through the metaphor of the Salem witch trials of colonial America.
3. Greek Theatre: Tragedy and Comedy
This lecture examines the function of theatre in Greek culture and religion, with special focus on the Athenians. It then explores the three different sorts of Greek theatre: satyr plays, comedy and tragedy, citing specific examples. Finally, we study the impact of theatre on Western civilization.
4. Introduction to George Bernard Shaw: Life and Major Plays
George Bernard Shaw is one of the most prolific and important playwrights in the last 150 years. Don't believe us? Watch this video to learn about his social activism, his important contribution to the world of education and, of course, his plays.
5. Introduction to Oscar Wilde: Plays, Novels, and Sexuality
From ''The Picture of Dorian Gray'' to the ''Importance of Being Earnest'', Oscar Wilde left an indelible mark on literature and theater. In this lesson, you'll learn all about the Victorian author.
6. Introduction to Shakespeare: Life and Works
This video provides a crash course introduction to William Shakespeare's life, plays, and poetry. From 'Two Gentlemen of Verona' to 'The Tempest', we'll give you a timeline of his works and quick descriptions of what you need to know to identify them.
7. Miller's Death of a Salesman: Summary and Analysis
In 'Death of a Salesman,' Willy Loman just can't catch a break. And if the title is an indicator, things won't end well. In this lesson, we'll look at Arthur Miller's 1949 masterpiece about a salesman and his family.
8. Romeo and Juliet: Shakespeare's Famous Star-Crossed Lovers
Great tragedies resonate throughout time. In this lesson, we'll go over the role of fate in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. We'll explore the story of his star-crossed lovers and explain some of his most famous quotes.
9. Prologue of Romeo and Juliet: Summary & Analysis
We will look at the prologue of ''Romeo and Juliet'' in this lesson and discuss the basics of Shakespeare's use of a prologue. Then we will look at what this particular prologue is saying.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- American Novels for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Usage Conventions in 9th Grade Writing Lesson Plans
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Identifying Usage Errors in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Prose Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Essay Basics Lesson Plans
- Literary Terms for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Dramatic Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Introduction to High School Writing Lesson Plans
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Text Analysis & Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Poetry for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- British Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Capitalization & Spelling for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Elements of Grammar for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Punctuation in Writing for 9th Grade Lesson Plans