About This Chapter
Drug Use & Abuse - Chapter Summary
You can count on our highly qualified instructors to explain drug use and abuse to you in an informative, entertaining manner. Catch up on addiction and the warning signs of addictive behavior. The main points addressed in this chapter are:
- Drug types and modes of administration
- Appropriate drug use
- Impact of culture and religion on drug use
- Drug misuse versus abuse
- Drug abuse
- Addiction vs. habit, impulse or obsession?
Every video lesson is paired with a brief and helpful self-assessment quiz. Depending upon the assessment outcome you may decide to revisit certain lessons in the chapter. Do so by reading the transcripts accompanying each video lesson. Also do so by using the video tagging system to access specific segments of a video lesson.
1. Types of Drugs: Classifications & Effects
This lesson will describe the six major classes of psychoactive drugs, give examples of substances in each class, and explain what they cause a person to experience in the short-term and the long-term.
2. Routes of Drug Administration: Oral, Topical, Inhalation & Injection
The way by which illicit drugs can be administered or taken into the body are numerous. These routes include the oral route, transdermal, inhalation, and intravenous injection.
3. The Appropriate Use of Legal Drugs & Medicine
In this lesson, you're going to learn a ton of names related to some of the most common over the counter (OTC) and prescription medications found in the United States as well as their main uses.
4. How Culture & Religion Influence Drug & Medicine Use
A person's cultural and religious background can greatly influence how they perceive and use drugs, be they legal or illegal. Such factors can both predispose a person to use drugs, or not.
5. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
6. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
7. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
8. Addiction: Not The Same As Habit, Impulse, or Obsession
This lesson will discuss the definitions of addiction, habit, obsession, compulsion, and impulse, giving several examples of each category and how they may overlap with one another.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Health (NT505): Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Health & Wellness
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Impacts of Dietary Choices on Health in the U.S.
- Carbohydrates in Health & Nutrition
- Lipids in Health & Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Introduction to Disease
- Immunity & Disease
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Emotional & Mental Health Management
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Elements of Interpersonal Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Conflict & Resolution
- Social Health & Diversity
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Community & Public Health
- Understanding Health Information
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Weight Management & Nutrition
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- AEPA Health Flashcards