About This Chapter
Drug Use Among Juveniles - Chapter Summary
Study this chapter to gain a deeper understanding of the issue of drug use among juveniles. As you follow along with our expert instructors, you'll explore the causes of substance disorders and the effects of various drug dependencies. The chapter also shows you methods and strategies that are used to prevent and treat drug abuse for adolescents. You can solidify your understanding of the material by taking the lesson quizzes and chapter exam. Revisit these lessons as many times as needed, and when you're finished working through the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Understand the causes of substance disorders
- Describe drug dependencies on depressants, stimulants, hallucinogens and cannabis
- Explain the risk of substance abuse for adolescents
- Evaluate effective substance abuse prevention and correction strategies for juveniles
- Name various types of drug use surveys
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of drug testing in schools
- Recognize the physical consequences of drug abuse
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Dependence on Depressants: Alcohol, Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs and Opioids
Addiction to depressants, like alcohol, sedatives, and opioids, comes with many problems. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of depressants, their side effects, and the treatment for dependence.
3. Stimulant Dependence: Amphetamines and Cocaine
Many people take stimulants like caffeine in small doses every day. But what happens when someone becomes dependent on stimulants? In this lesson, we'll look at the effects of stimulants, including two commonly abused stimulants, cocaine and amphetamines.
4. Dependence on Hallucinogens: Definition and Examples
For centuries, people have taken hallucinogens. But what are the dangers? In this lesson, we'll look at hallucinogens more closely, including the history, side effects, and treatment of hallucinogenic dependence.
5. Understanding Cannabis Dependence: Facts and Myths
There are many myths about cannabis - or marijuana - use and dependence. In this lesson, we'll look at the medicinal benefits of cannabis, as well as the dangers of cannabis use.
6. Adolescents & the Risk of Substance Abuse
In this lesson, you'll learn about many of the key factors that predispose adolescents to substance abuse, including things that may be going on at home or in school.
7. Substance Abuse & Juvenile Delinquency: Prevention & Correction Strategies
Is there a link between substance abuse and juvenile delinquency? Continue with the lesson to learn if the two are related and what can be done to help prevent and correct the problem.
8. Drug Use Surveys: Types & Accuracy
Drug use in the present time is not what it was 40 years ago, and we know this because of drug use surveys. This lesson discusses how drug use surveys are utilized to track the ever-changing trends and why the results are important for adolescents, parents, educators, and policy makers.
9. Drug Testing in Schools: Pros & Cons
In this lesson, we'll discuss the key arguments of both opponents and proponents of drug testing in schools. We'll also look the different models of drug addiction that impact why the schools might think they need to test students.
10. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Juvenile Delinquency: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Nature & Extent of Delinquency
- Individual Theories of Delinquency
- Sociological Theories of Delinquency
- Developmental Theories of Delinquency
- Gender & Family Influences on Delinquency
- Child Abuse, Neglect & Delinquency
- Peer & Media Influences on Delinquency
- School Influences on Delinquency
- Juvenile Policing
- Juvenile Justice System Overview
- Juvenile Corrections Overview
- UExcel Juvenile Delinquency Flashcards