About This Chapter
Drugs & Substance Abuse - Chapter Summary
If you're unsure of the difference between substance abuse and substance dependence, take a look at the video lessons in this chapter. Our instructors define these terms while also covering the repercussions of drug abuse. You'll also explore teenage drug use as well as drug advertisements. After finishing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Share the definition and causes of substance use, dependence and abuse
- Differentiate misuse from abuse
- List the classifications of drugs
- Identify common legal drugs and their uses
- Explain the physical effects and treatments of drug abuse
- Describe the impact of drug use on teens
- Analyze alcohol and tobacco advertisements
- Discuss the personal and social dangers of drug abuse
- Understand the relationships between drugs, violence and crime
To ensure you grasp the material in this chapter, our experienced instructors break down terminology and use examples to simplify concepts. You can learn about substance abuse whenever it fits your schedule; just pull up our lessons on your mobile device or computer. Read over lesson transcripts, as these highlight key terms for quick reference. Be sure to also take the quizzes accompanying these lessons to check your understanding of the covered topics.
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
3. Types of Drugs: Classifications & Effects
This lesson will describe the six major classes of psychoactive drugs, give examples of substances in each class, and explain what they cause a person to experience in the short-term and the long-term.
4. The Appropriate Use of Legal Drugs & Medicine
In this lesson, you're going to learn a ton of names related to some of the most common over the counter (OTC) and prescription medications found in the United States as well as their main uses.
5. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
6. Personal & Social Dangers of Drug Abuse
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the many unfortunate personal and social dangers that drug abuse poses, including those that can harm society at large.
7. Relationships Between Drugs, Violence & Crime
Many inmates in both state and federal prisons say they committed their crimes while under the influence of drugs. Around one-quarter of those inmates committed violent crimes. This lesson explores the relationship between drugs, violence and crime.
8. How Drug Use Affects a Teen's Life
In this lesson, we'll look at some of the consequences of teen drug use. We'll look at how the use of drugs impacts teens' relationships, academic performance, and development.
9. Analyzing Tobacco & Alcohol Advertisements
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the various ways advertisements are used by the tobacco, alcohol, and drug industry to target their current or future customer base.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Overview of the Major Muscle Groups of the Human Body
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology & Fitness for Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- Volleyball History & Rules
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Outdoor, Adventure & Cooperative Physical Education
- Dance Concepts & Forms
- Creating Fitness & Exercise Plans
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Motivation in the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication & Collaboration in Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Physical Education Planning & Instruction
- Equitable Physical Education for Diverse Students
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards