About This Chapter
Dynasties & Confucianism in Ancient China - Chapter Summary
In this chapter's lessons, our expert instructors will go over the events that occurred during China's Shang and Zhou dynasties, and examine the legalism of the Qin Dynasty. You'll also look at why and how the Great Wall was constructed. Trading via the Silk Roads is also explored.
In other lessons, you'll find out more about Confucius and his teachings. After completing this chapter, you should have stronger knowledge of topics including:
- The building of The Great Wall
- Characteristics of the Qin Dynasty
- Wu Ti and Xiongnu
- The life of Confucius
- The origins of Confucianism and its influence
- Confucianism and Taoism
- The Silk Roads and trade with the Roman Empire
These lively lessons are brief, averaging about five minutes each, and you can watch them whenever your schedule allows, on a computer or mobile device. Self-assessment quizzes follow each lesson and allow you to test your learning. If you still have questions, feel free to contact the instructor for additional help.
1. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
2. The Qin Dynasty in China: The Great Wall & Legalism
In this lesson, we will explore the short-lived but powerful Qin Dynasty of China. We will examine the dynasty's founding, life under Qin rule, the Qin legacy, and the downfall of the Qin.
3. The Han Dynasty in China: Characteristics, Wu Ti & Xiongnu
In this lesson, we will explore China's Han dynasty. We will discover the ups and downs of its history and learn about some of its major characteristics and accomplishments.
4. Confucius: Biography & Teachings
The teachings of Confucius have been among the most enduring in history, acting as a guide for literally billions of people. This lesson explains his early life and the inspiration that started it all.
5. The Founding of Confucianism: Overview & Influence
This lesson will explain the origins of Confucianism by highlighting the life and times of Master Kung, known today as Confucius. In doing so, it will focus on feudalism in China as well as the principle of jen.
6. The Teachings of Confucianism & Taoism
Confucianism and Taoism were the guiding philosophies for many Chinese people for hundreds of years. But, how can two philosophies both work when they are often reaching different conclusions? This lesson explains how.
7. The Silk Roads During the Han Dynasty & The Roman Empire
The Silk Roads connected some of the most diverse cultures in history, as well as providing a link between the superpowers of 2,000 years ago. Learn more about the route that connected the Han Dynasty and Imperial Rome.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA History (NT302): Practice & Study Guide course
- Historical Concepts & Research
- Understanding Historical Resources
- Events & Contributions of Early Civilizations
- Ancient Near East Civilizations
- The Bronze Age in the Near East
- Ancient Africa & the Americas
- Culture & Beliefs of Ancient India
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of Early Christianity
- The Byzantine Empire & Culture
- The Origins of Islam
- Contributions of Medieval European Politics
- The Crusades & Church Reform in Medieval Europe
- The Hundred Years' War
- Asia in the Middle & Late Middle Ages
- Africa & the Americas in the Middle & Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Protestant Reformation in Europe & Worldwide
- The Age of European Exploration & Discovery
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Colonialism in Europe, Africa & the New World
- Major Figures & Events of the Scientific Revolution
- The Enlightenment
- Asia & Africa in the 15th-18th Centuries
- Political & Technological World Developments (1750-1914)
- European & Japanese Imperialism
- Battles & Consequences of World War I
- Causes & Events of World War II
- Civilizations of the Americas Before & After Colonization
- Colonial Settlements & Battles in North America (1497-1732)
- Events Leading to the American Revolution (1700-1774)
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Birth of the United States (1776-1800)
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Sectional Crisis & the Start of the Civil War (1850-1861)
- Battles & Effects of the American Civil War (1861-1865)
- American Reconstruction & the Gilded Age (1865-1877)
- American Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- Figures & Events of the Progressive Era (1900-1917)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- American Life & Culture During the Roaring 20s (1920-1929)
- The Great Depression in the U.S. (1929-1940)
- American Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- American Civil Disobedience, Protests & Activism (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Politics & Major Figures of Contemporary America (1992-2013)
- AEPA History Flashcards