About This Chapter
Who's It For
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the dynasties of China will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the impact of various dynasties on China's history. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in learning about Chinese dynasties
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning world history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Dynasties of China chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Dynasties of China chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any world history question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about dynasties of China for a standard world history course. Topics covered include:
- Culture, social structure, technology, religion, art and economic development during the Shang Dynasty
- Achievements, religion, laws, and economic and social structure during the Qin Dynasty
- Sui Dynasty emperors, inventions and technology, art and religion, as well as the fall of the dynasty
- Religion, art, poetry, social structure, traditions, emperors and timeline of the Tang Dynasty
- Government, economy, trade, achievements and fall of the Yuan Dynasty
- Role of women, social classes, facts and timeline of the Qing Dynasty
1. Shang Dynasty: Technology, Inventions & Achievements
The Shang dynasty was a mystery until archaeological discoveries happened in the 20th century. Since then, historians have learned a lot about the life of these ancient people. In this lesson, we will focus on their technology, inventions, and achievements.
2. Shang Dynasty: Religion, Art & Culture
Many people respect the wisdom of their elders. But what about the wisdom of the dead? This was the wisdom respected most by the people of the Shang dynasty. In this lesson, we will look at beliefs, customs, and other aspects of the Shang society.
3. Shang Dynasty: Social Structure & Family Life
For centuries, many considered the Shang dynasty to be a mere myth. However, in the 20th century, archaeological finds gave evidence to their existence. In this lesson, we will look at what the evidence shows about their social structure.
4. Shang Dynasty: Leaders, Political Structure & Laws
In this lesson, you will learn about the origins of the Shang Dynasty. You will also learn about notable political leaders and about how the Shang organized their political system.
5. Shang Dynasty: Economy & Agriculture
The Chinese term used today for merchant is 'shang ren.' This also translates into 'Shang man.' So, how exactly did the Shang of centuries ago become the icon of businessmen? The following lesson will explore this and other aspects of the Shang economy.
6. Qin Dynasty: Achievements, Inventions & Technology
The Qin Dynasty lasted only one generation, yet it made many lasting impacts on China's history. In this lesson, you will learn about the achievements, innovations, and technologies of China's namesake rulers.
7. Qin Dynasty: Religion, Art & Culture
The Qin dynasty was one of China's shortest-lived dynasties, lasting only 15 years. Yet, it was also one of the most influential. In this lesson, you'll learn about the religion, art, and culture of the Qin dynasty.
8. Qin Dynasty: Economy & Political Structure
In this lesson, we'll be looking at Qin Shi, who created the first truly unified China and founded the Qin Dynasty. In this lesson, you will learn about the political and economic structures that made the emperor's success possible.
9. Qin Dynasty: Social Structure, Laws & Rules
The Qin Dynasty sought to restructure Chinese society through political, legal, and social reforms. In this lesson, you will learn about the laws and social structure of the Qin Dynasty.
10. Sui Dynasty: Facts, Timeline & Emperors
Dynasties, periods where the same family or group ruled, distinguish distinct periods in Chinese history. In this lesson learn about the major events of the Sui Dynasty, the third imperial dynasty in China.
11. Sui Dynasty: Achievements, Inventions & Technology
Learn about the dynasty that helped reunify China after a 300 year period of disunity after the fall of the Han Dynasty, and see how this short-lived dynasty made innovations and achievements that helped pave the way for the long-ruling Tang Dynasty.
12. Sui Dynasty: Religion, Art & Culture
The Sui Dynasty was one of the shortest in Chinese history, but has a rich history that still influences China in the modern day. If you would like to learn more about the Sui Dynasty, then this lesson is for you.
13. The Fall of the Sui Dynasty
Not every dynasty in Chinese history lasted for centuries. In this lesson, we are going to check out the Sui Dynasty and see what brought this short dynasty to an abrupt end.
14. Sui Dynasty: Social Structures & Economy
The Sui Dynasty was one of the shortest in Chinese history, but pulled off remarkable feats that still affect China today. If you would like to learn more about the Sui Dynasty, this lesson has what you are looking for.
15. Tang Dynasty: Facts, Time Period & Rulers
China has a long history, but not every dynasty was remembered with equal fondness. In this lesson, we'll explore the Tang Dynasty and see why it's often cited as a Chinese golden age.
16. Tang Dynasty: Achievements, Inventions & Technology
From 618-907 CE a powerful dynasty known as the Tang ruled over a unified China, during a period widely seen as the pinnacle of Chinese civilization. In this lesson, you will learn about the achievements, innovations, and technology of the Tang dynasty of China.
17. Tang Dynasty: Religion, Art & Poetry
In this lesson, you will gain a basic understanding of art, religion, and poetry during the Tang Dynasty. It was during this dynasty that the Chinese culture began to truly expand these areas.
18. Tang Dynasty: Government, Economy & Trade
The Tang dynasty (618-907 CE) is often described as a Golden Age in China's history. How did they gain this reputation? This lesson will discuss three aspects of the Tang achievement: the government, the economy, and trade.
19. Tang Dynasty: Social Structure & Traditions
The Tang Dynasty's history reads like a novella, fraught with intrigue and murder, but it also involved numerous reforms and changes in art and religion. Learn more about the traditions and social structure during this 'Golden Age' of China.
20. Yuan Dynasty: Facts, Timeline & Emperors
When was China not ruled by the Chinese? In this lesson, we'll explore this question and see how emperors of the Yuan Dynasty attempted to govern imperial China.
21. Yuan Dynasty: Achievements, Inventions & Technology
If you think the conquests of Genghis and Kublai Khan were the only things to know about the Yuan Dynasty, you have much more to learn about this multifaceted family of Chinese rulers. To learn more, give this lesson a look.
22. Yuan Dynasty: Religion, Art & Culture
This lesson will shed some light on the Yuan Dynasty of China, who ruled for only 97 years. This lesson will also delve into some of the religion, art and culture for this era of China.
23. How Did the Yuan Dynasty Fall?
The Yuan dynasty was powerful, wealthy, impressive, and brief. In this lesson, we'll see how a major dynasty in Chinese history fell less than a century after its inception.
24. Yuan Dynasty: Social Structure, Economy & Trade
The Mongols who ruled China in the 1200s CE established a social structure, and economy, all their own. If you would like to learn more about the Yuan/Mongol Dynastic rule of China, this lesson is just for you.
25. Qing Dynasty: Facts, Timeline & Emperors
The last Chinese dynasty only came to an end about one hundred years ago. This lesson will discuss the rise and fall of the Qing Dynasty and its ruling emperors.
26. Qing Dynasty: Achievements, Inventions & Technology
You may know about the Qing Dynasty, and the end of imperial China. However, in this lesson you will learn that there was more to the Qing Dynasty than social unrest and Western domination. Keep reading for more…
27. Qing Dynasty: Social Classes, Laws & Economy
If you would like to learn more about the last dynasty of China, the Qing Dynasty, and what brought about its end, this lesson has what you are looking for.
28. Women in the Qing Dynasty
The Qing Dynasty in China was a time of growth and prosperity in China; however, little social progress was was made in the lives of women. This lesson will examine women within the Qing Dynasty including some of their restrictions and limitations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Major Events in World History Study Guide course
- History of Ancient Civilizations
- History of the Ancient Middle East & India
- Ancient Greek History
- Ancient Roman History
- History of Early China & Japan
- History of Africa Before Colonization
- History of the Americas
- History of France & England
- Modern History of Germany
- Modern History of Greater Europe
- History of Modern Russia
- Countries & Capitals of the World
- Historical Timelines
- Contemporary Africa
- Contemporary Asia
- Contemporary America
- Ancient Inventions