About This Chapter
Dysfunction, Abuse & Neglect - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll get a comprehensive look at different types of abuse and neglect, and examine dysfunction in families and relationships. You'll look at the indicators of abuse and neglect, dysfunctional family dynamics and the definitions of physical and psychological abuse. After going through all the lessons in this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Recall the types of defense mechanisms that people use when they are being abused
- Identify the effects of sexual abuse and harassment on adolescent development
- Explain the causes, consequences and prevention of relationship abuse
- Relate the effects of abuse and neglect on child development
- Detail trauma-related disorders and the effect of trauma on behavior and self-image
- Discuss the causes of domestic violence and its effects
- Describe the relationship between child abuse and juvenile delinquency
The lessons in this chapter are mobile friendly for your convenience. You can study in the comfort of your home on your computer, or you can learn on-the-go on your smartphone or tablet. Keep track of your progress through the chapter on your dashboard. Gauge your comprehension of the lesson topics by completing the lesson quizzes and chapter test.
1. Indicators of Abuse & Neglect
Children can be physically and psychologically neglected as well as physically, psychologically, and sexually abused. Find out the difference between abuse and neglect and some indicators of all of these.
2. Defense Mechanisms: Definition, Types & Examples
Learn about defense mechanisms and how they help people cope with difficult situations. Explore the most common types of defense mechanisms and consider examples of each one.
3. Dysfunctional Family Dynamics
This lesson explores the topic of dysfunctional family relationships. Characteristics and examples of dysfunctional families are presented, and functional families are discussed in comparison.
4. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
5. What is Psychological Abuse? - Definition & Overview
This lesson defines psychological abuse and gives a brief overview of what this type of abuse is. Behaviors that can be expected and potential victim reactions are also mentioned.
6. What is Physical Abuse? - Definition & Signs
Physical abuse can be severely damaging to a person. It's important you know what signs to look out for so you can hopefully play a part in ending a person's nightmare.
7. Abusive Relationships: Causes, Consequences & Prevention
In this lesson, we will look at why abusive relationships occur, what can happen as a result of them, and ways to prevent becoming a victim of an abusive relationship.
8. Domestic Violence: Definition, Causes, Facts & History
This lesson will provide the definition for domestic violence. It will also explore the history, causes, and facts about domestic violence. A short quiz on the subject matter will follow the lesson.
9. Domestic Violence and Sociology: Definition & Effects
This lesson defines domestic violence and gives examples of what domestic abuse can be. The effects of domestic violence for adults, children, adolescents, and families are also discussed.
10. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
11. Child Abuse and Neglect: 4 Major Types, Characteristics & Effects
Child abuse is a major problem in our world today. Counselors must be educated in the topic, particularly the four types of abuse, their effects, and what to focus on in therapy.
12. Cycle of Violence: Child Abuse & Juvenile Delinquency
The number of child abuse cases that are reported on an annual basis is alarming. This lesson will examine whether a link exists between child abuse and juvenile delinquency that perpetuates the cycle of violence.
13. Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder
A lot happens in the brain following a traumatic, life threatening event. Sometimes the brain has difficulty managing the stress and can be caught in a loop known as post-traumatic stress disorder, which will be discussed in this lesson along with acute stress disorder.
14. Effects of Trauma on Behavior & Self-image
Trauma can manifest in different forms such as homelessness, surviving a natural disaster, abuse, neglect, witnessing horrific violence. Learn the definition of trauma, how it affects self-image, and the behavioral consequences of traumatic experience in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ASWB Clinical Exam: Study Guide & Practice course
- Overview of Human Growth & Development
- Physical, Emotional & Intellectual Human Development
- Developmental Abnormalities
- Adulthood & Aging
- Human Behavior in the Environment
- Diversity & Discrimination
- Understanding Addictions
- Social Justice Goals in Social Work
- Information Gathering & Assessment for Social Workers
- Diagnosis in Social Work
- Treatment Planning in Social Work
- Managing Therapeutic Relationships
- Interventions & Approaches in Social Work
- Case Management in Social Work
- Consultation & Collaboration in Social Work
- Professional Ethics & Values in Social Work