About This Chapter
Early Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development - Chapter Summary
The physical changes of our bodies and the cognitive developments of our minds differ during every stage of our lives. These lessons focus on the physical and cognitive development that occurs during the period of early adulthood.
All of our chapters have been designed to help you learn or re-learn this information. Our instructors focus on major vocabulary words, definitions, key concepts, and applicable examples. Instead of overloading you with too much information, though, our instructors divide up the chapters into small, manageable lessons. It usually takes less than 10 minutes to get through a single lesson, because they examine only one major topic each. After you master the information in one lesson, move on to the next in the series, or use the chapter menu to pick specific lessons that you need to review.
This chapter helps you with the following:
- Examining health and physical development in early adulthood
- Exploring early adulthood and reproduction
- Discussing cognitive development and post-formal thought
- Detailing Levinson's theory about the stages of adult development
- Reviewing stages of identity formation according to Erikson
- Learning about the impact of life events on cognitive development
1. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
2. Reproduction in Early Adulthood
In their twenties and thirties, many people have children. However, it doesn't always go smoothly. In this lesson, we will explore sex and reproduction in early adulthood, including changes in sex drives and reproductive issues, like infertility.
3. Postformal Thought in Cognitive Development
How do people continue to develop in adulthood? Watch this lesson to discover how adults develop cognitively, including how they become postformal thinkers, and what relativistic thinking and dialectical reasoning involve.
4. Levinson's Stages of Adult Development Theory
There has been a lot of talk about the development of children. But, do people continue to develop into their adult years? Psychologist Daniel Levinson thought so. In this lesson, we will look into his seven stages of adult development.
5. Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development: Theory & Examples
How do we form identities as we age and grow? To answer this question, Erik Erikson came up with eight stages of identity formation that revolve around conflict and resolution. Who are you, and who will you become after completing this lesson?
6. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 107: Life Span Developmental Psychology course
- Intro to Human Development
- Research Methods for Human Development
- Foundations of Human Development
- Genetic Influences in Human Development
- Overview of Prenatal Development
- Childbirth and the Neonatal Period
- Human Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Early Childhood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Childhood Psychosocial Development
- Human Development in Middle Childhood
- Adolescent Physical and Sexual Development
- Adolescent Psychosocial Development
- Early Adulthood Psychosocial Development
- Middle Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Adulthood Psychosocial Development
- Late Adulthood Physical Development
- Late Adulthood Psychosocial and Cognitive Development
- Stages and Psychological Impact of Death and Dying
- Studying for Psychology 107