About This Chapter
Early Adulthood Psychosocial Development - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an in-depth overview of the psychosocial development of individuals during early adulthood. Use them to learn more about the social issues, choices and traditions that effect the psychological development of adults, including friendship, love, marriage and employment.
Our instructors have carefully divided this chapter into several shorter lessons that each focus on a single main topic. Not only does this let you get through the lessons more quickly, but it also means that you can focus your studies on individual concepts. Review all of the lessons in the chapter or use the chapter menu to navigate between lessons. Learning objectives stressed in this chapter include the following:
- Understanding the theories of love
- Defining early adulthood relationships of friendship and marriage
- Identifying the stages of family life and related traditions
- Exploring socioemotional success and work achievements
- Examining early adulthood career choices
- Identifying gender roles and gender identities related to early adulthood
- Looking at marital concerns common among early adults
1. Theories of Love: Definition, Examples & Predictions
During early adulthood, many people fall in love. But why do people fall in love? And how can they be happy? Watch this lesson to learn more about theories on love, including the evolutionary, equity, and attachment theories.
2. Friendship and Marriage in Early Adulthood
During early adulthood, friendships and romantic relationships take center stage as people become more independent of their parents. Watch this lesson to find out about gender differences in friendships and what makes a marriage successful.
3. Family Life Stages and Traditions: Courtship, Marriage, Child Rearing & Aging
In this lesson, we discuss the four stages of traditional family life that sociologists study. Although the concept of family has changed with time, these four stages remain prominent in our culture.
4. Achievement in Early Adulthood: Work & Socioemotional Success
During your twenties and thirties, achievement is a major driving factor. In this lesson, we'll take a look at both career and socioemotional achievement, including what they are and factors that can lead to success in those areas.
5. Career Choices in Early Adulthood
Many adults spend the majority of their waking lives at work. As such, your career is a big part of your life. Watch this lesson to find out more about work-life decisions that have to be made by many people, especially career couples.
6. Gender Identity and Roles in Early Adulthood
As people age, they begin to think about how their gender affects who they are. Watch this lesson to find out how people construct their gender identity, how society defines gender roles, and how both of these things can impact a marriage.
7. Marital Issues in Early Adulthood
During the period of life between ages 20 and 40, many people get married. Watch this lesson to look at some of the issues that can crop up in a marriage, including physical and emotional infidelity and spousal abuse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 107: Life Span Developmental Psychology course
- Intro to Human Development
- Research Methods for Human Development
- Foundations of Human Development
- Genetic Influences in Human Development
- Overview of Prenatal Development
- Childbirth and the Neonatal Period
- Human Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Early Childhood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Childhood Psychosocial Development
- Human Development in Middle Childhood
- Adolescent Physical and Sexual Development
- Adolescent Psychosocial Development
- Early Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Adulthood Psychosocial Development
- Late Adulthood Physical Development
- Late Adulthood Psychosocial and Cognitive Development
- Stages and Psychological Impact of Death and Dying
- Studying for Psychology 107