About This Chapter
Early African Civilizations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
When you watch the video lessons in the Early African Civilizations chapter, you could increase your knowledge of the rise and fall of African kingdoms as well as Africa's climates and economies. The information in this chapter could also help you to understand:
- The Muslim states
- The Stateless Society
- The Kush, Egyptian and Axum civilizations
|Hunter-Gatherers and Stateless Societies in Africa||Learn about Africa's hunting and gathering societies.|
|The Rise of Muslim States in Africa||Explore the Muslim states of Africa.|
|Africa's First Civilizations: Egypt, Kush and Axum||Explain the climate and its effect on where the African people settled.|
|African Cultures: Ghana, Mali and Songhai||Study the kings and economies of these cultures.|
|Ancient West Africa: Bantu Migrations and the Stateless Society||Explain the Stateless Society.|
|Society and Culture in Early Africa||Read about education and the role of women in Africa.|
|The Rise and Fall of the Axum Kingdom in Africa||Explain what transpired during the rise and fall of the Axum kingdom.|
|Ancient Trade Cities on Africa's East Coast||Identify early Africa's eastern trade cities.|
|Southern Africa, Great Zimbabwe and the Gold Trade||Discover how the gold trade contributed to the development of nations such as Zimbabwe.|
1. Hunter-Gatherers & Stateless Societies in Africa
In this lesson, you will explore other forms of culture in ancient Africa that were not kingdoms or empires. These societies rejected the idea of a central government. Then you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Africa's First Civilizations: Egypt, Kush & Axum
In this lesson, you will explore the history of three of the first great civilizations of Africa: Egypt, Kush, and Axum. Then, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. African Cultures: Ghana, Mali, and Songhai
In this lesson, we learn about the three premier empires of the pre-colonial period in West Africa: Ghana, Mali, and Songhai, who all profited tremendously from the trans-Saharan gold trade.
4. Ancient West Africa: Bantu Migrations & the Stateless Society
In this lesson, we will discuss some of the characteristics of ancient West Africa. We will focus especially on the Bantu migrations, the stateless society, and the city of Jenne-jeno.
5. Society & Culture in Early Africa
In this lesson, you will explore some of the many sort of societies and cultures that have existed in Africa across time. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. The Rise & Fall of the Axum Kingdom in Africa
In this lesson, you will explore the history of the powerful African kingdom of Axum and discover how the international economy affected both its rise and decline. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. Ancient Trade Cities on Africa's East Coast
In this lesson, you will explore the rich history of the trading cities that dominated the East Coast of Africa and controlled vast international markets. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Southern Africa, Great Zimbabwe & the Gold Trade
In this lesson, you will explore the history of Southern Africa and the significance of major cities like Zimbabwe to ancient trade networks. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
9. The Rise of Muslim States in Africa
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of Islam in Africa and discover how Muslim states grew in size and power. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History 112: World History I course
- Prehistory & the Development of Humankind
- Civilization Begins at Mesopotamia
- Early Egyptian Civilization
- Early Civilizations of the Ancient Near East
- The Rise of Empires in the Ancient Near East
- Early Indian Civilizations & Empires
- Early Chinese Civilizations & Empires
- Early Greek Civilizations
- Classical Greek Culture & Philosophy
- Alexander & the Spread of Hellenistic Culture
- Rise of the Roman Republic
- The Roman Republic Becomes an Empire
- Roman Culture & Society
- The Development of Christianity
- Fall of the Roman Empire
- The Birth of the Muslim World
- Early Civilizations in Asia
- The Roman World in Transformation
- Feudalism in Europe & the Early Middle Ages
- The Byzantine Empire & the Crusades
- Rise of the Russians & the Turks
- Society & Culture in the Medieval Warm Period
- Medieval Civilization & Christianity
- European Kingdoms Emerge
- Culture of the High Middle Ages
- The Late Middle Ages
- Early Civilizations in the Americas
- The Muslim World Expands
- The European Renaissance