About This Chapter
Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations & Trends - Chapter Summary
In this helpful chapter, our instructors present the trends and professional organizations associated with early childhood education. You'll study an overview of these organizations, their work and membership requirements, as well as the roles they play in the industry. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Describe the activism of the National Education Association (NEA)
- Provide an overview of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- Detail the role the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) plays
- Discuss the role of the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Outline some of the field-specific education-based professional organizations
- Identify the standards of the Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA)
- Explain some of the current trends related to early childhood education
- Describe the teaching profession's code of ethical conduct
Our professionally written learning materials allow you to study anytime you'd like on your mobile device or computer. These video and text lessons are followed by short quizzes you can use to identify any subjects that need further attention. If you like to study offline, the printable lesson transcripts can be made into helpful study guides.
1. National Education Association (NEA): Overview, Membership Requirements & Activism
The National Education Association (NEA) is a major force in the world of American education. Watch this lesson to find out what the NEA is, what it does, what its core values are, who can become a member, and how to join.
2. American Federation of Teachers (AFT): Overview, Membership Requirements & Activism
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) provides many benefits to its members across the country. In this lesson, we'll explore the AFT, including how to join, the structure of the organization, and its mission and work across the United States.
3. Role of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
In this lesson, we'll explore the role and history of the National Association for the Education of Young Children, one of the country's foremost advocates for early childhood education.
4. Role of the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
In this lesson, we explore the formation and role of the Association for Childhood Education International, one of the most high-profile children's advocate organizations in the world today.
5. Field-Specific Professional Organizations in Education
Joining a professional education organization can provide educators with all sorts of benefits. But how can a teacher find an association in his or her content area? Watch this lesson for the benefits of field-specific organizations and how to find one.
6. Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA): Role & Standards
The Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA) is an organization with members who work in early childhood education. Explore the standards and objectives set forth by this important organization.
7. Current Trends in Early Childhood Education
This lesson is about current trends in early childhood education. We will outline three current trends in early childhood education and discuss what these trends look like in the classroom and how these trends impact student learning.
8. Code of Ethical Conduct in the Teaching Profession
Many professions recognize set standards for moral conduct. This lesson examines the code of ethical conduct in the teaching profession and the importance of adhering to that code.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 (053): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Growth & Development
- External Factors in Childhood Development
- Developmental Theories of Learning
- Early Childhood Education Models
- Federal & State Laws on Education
- Planning & Facilitating Early Learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices & the Classroom
- Student Guidance & Behavioral Management
- Using Assessment & Evaluation in Teaching
- Utilizing Technology in the Classroom
- Family & Community Involvement in Early Education
- Subject-Specific Teaching Strategies
- Serving the Educational Needs of Diverse Populations
- Literacy Instruction in the Classroom
- Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy in Early Education
- Teaching Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Writing Processes & Development
- Early Childhood Mathematics Instruction
- Early Childhood Math Concepts
- Early Childhood Science Instruction
- Basics of Physical & Earth Sciences
- Basic Concepts in Life Science
- FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 Flashcards