About This Chapter
Early Childhood Physical Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons that can help jar your memory of early childhood physical development. In these self-paced lessons, you will review subjects like the definition and examples of physical development, fine and gross motor skills development in children, and more. Quickly test your understanding of the concepts by taking brief self-assessments that are located at the conclusion of each lesson. You will also study these subjects:
- Physical development during early childhood
- Sensation and perception
- Impact of health on learning in children
Any questions you have while working through these lessons can be sent straight to the instructors. This chapter is mobile friendly, so you can review the information anytime, anywhere you have Internet access. Also, the quizzes can be printed to take with you for offline study.
1. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
2. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
3. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
4. What Are Gross Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Gross motor skills allow children to control those body movements that require the use of large muscles in the legs, arms, and torso. Learn more about gross motor skills from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Intro to Sensation and Perception
What is the difference between sensation and perception, and how do they work? You'll get to see how the mind handles and differentiates between multiple sensations in this introduction.
6. How Health Influences Learning in Children
This lesson highlights several common issues that impact health and learning in children. Following the lesson is a short quiz to test what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Early Childhood Education (206): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development in Early Childhood
- Promoting Listening & Speaking Skills in Early Childhood
- Emergent Literacy in Early Childhood Education
- Phonemic Awareness in Early Childhood Education
- Print Concepts in Early Childhood Education
- Building Spelling Skills in Early Childhood
- Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
- Word Identification Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Vocabulary Development in Early Childhood Education
- Reading Comprehension Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Applying Reading Skills in Early Childhood Education
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Process
- Mathematical Concepts in Early Childhood
- Teaching Mathematics to Children
- Scientific Concepts & Processes in Early Childhood Education
- Earth & Space Science: Early Childhood Education
- Life Science in Early Childhood Education
- Physical Science in Early Childhood Education
- Environmental Science in Early Childhood Education
- Science Education Strategies for Early Childhood
- Geography Tools: Overview & Concepts
- Overview of American History
- Illinois History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Social Sciences in Early Childhood Education
- Protecting Personal Safety
- Health & Physical Education in Early Childhood Education
- Fine Arts in Child Education
- Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Social Development in Early Childhood Education
- Health & Safety Issues in Early Childhood
- Planning for Instruction: Classroom Strategies
- Assessments in Childhood Education
- Individualized Education Plans
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- The Early Childhood Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Early Childhood Education
- ILTS Early Childhood Education Flashcards