About This Chapter
Early Childhood Science Instruction - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter offer you a quick way to review the basics of early childhood science instruction. Using a simplified and engaging teaching style, our instructors will show you elementary teaching strategies in science, inquiry-based and project-based learning, scientific tools and more. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Recognize developmentally appropriate educational practice for elementary-level science instruction
- Understand how scientific skills are developed during early childhood
- Evaluate the uses of several kid-friendly scientific tools
- Apply elementary science teaching strategies
- Create an inquiry-based science environment in the classroom
- Define the concept of project-based science learning
You can reinforce your understanding of these topics by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes. Complete the chapter at your own pace, and if you have any questions, simply reach out to our instructors online. The chapter is available 24/7 and accessible on any Internet-connected device.
1. Developmentally Appropriate Practices for Elementary Science
Looking to become an Elementary Teacher in Florida? Check out this lesson on developmentally appropriate practices for teaching science as you prepare for your teacher certification.
2. Scientific Skill Development in Early Childhood
In this lesson, we will find out more about how teachers can build on the inherent curiosity of young children to create meaningful scientific instruction.
3. Simple Scientific Tools & Uses for Kids
Discover the many scientific tools that kids can use to investigate the world around them and exercise their curiosity. Learn about few examples of how to use these tools. See how much you can remember with a quiz.
4. Teaching Strategies for Elementary Science
In this lesson we discuss various strategies for teaching science in elementary school, including the concept of cooperative learning and the importance of the STEM program.
5. Providing an Inquiry-Based Science Environment
What is an inquiry-based science environment? Learn about why it is valuable, how such an environment can be provided, and some of the challenges -- especially for English language learners and students with exceptionalities.
6. Project Based Learning for Science
Project-based learning can be a useful tool for teaching science. This lesson will provide some examples and strategies for incorporating this method of teaching into your science classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 (053): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Growth & Development
- External Factors in Childhood Development
- Developmental Theories of Learning
- Federal & State Laws on Education
- Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations & Trends
- Planning & Facilitating Early Learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices & the Classroom
- Student Guidance & Behavioral Management
- Using Assessment & Evaluation in Teaching
- Utilizing Technology in the Classroom
- Family & Community Involvement in Early Education
- Subject-Specific Teaching Strategies
- Serving the Educational Needs of Diverse Populations
- Literacy Instruction in the Classroom
- Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy in Early Education
- Teaching Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Writing Processes & Development
- Early Childhood Mathematics Instruction
- Early Childhood Math Concepts
- Basics of Physical & Earth Sciences
- Basic Concepts in Life Science
- Social Studies in Early Education
- FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 Flashcards