About This Chapter
Early Chinese Civilizations and Empires - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Like today, China in ancient times was a major power, with economic and religious influence over a huge portions of the world's population. In this chapter, we'll learn about the first recorded rulers of China, their accomplishments and what society was like during their reigns. You'll learn about military and economic accomplishments and how China interacted with other counties. We'll also explore the teachings of Confucius. Some topics covered in these lessons include:
- Why family relationships were important in Chinese society
- Confucius's teachings and their influence
- How trade along the Silk Roads changed the world
- The significance of different dynasties in Chinese history
|Geography & Early Settlement of China||Study how the geography of China influenced its early settlements.|
|Unification of Northern China under Shi Huangdi of the Qin Dynasty||Identify the first emperor of China and his impact on the country.|
|Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties||Learn about society as a patriarchy, Mandate of Heaven, Cheng Tang.|
|The Founding of Confucianism: Overview & Influence||Review the basics of Confucianism.|
|Confucius' Ideas on Family & Society||Understand Confucius' ideas in regards to society and familial interactions.|
|Taoism & Legalism in the Chinese Zhou Dynasty||Study the various religions that impacted the history of China.|
|The Qin Dynasty in China: The Great Wall & Legalism||Get an overview of the Qin Dynasty, Qin Shihuangdi, the building of the Great Wall, legalism.|
|The Han Dynasty in China: Characteristics, Wu Ti & Xiongnu||See an overview of the Han Dynasty, Liu Bang, conflict with the Huns, Wang Mang, peasant rebellion.|
|What Is the Silk Road? - Goods & Ideas Crossing China||Address the importance of the Silk Road on the transmission of goods and ideas.|
1. Geography & Early Settlement of China
In this lesson, you will discover how the geography of China influenced early settlement and the creation of the first Chinese societies. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Unification of Northern China under Shi Huangdi of the Qin Dynasty
After several hundred years of strife and chaos, one man from the Qin state was able to unify China. This lesson details the life of Shi Huang Di, as well as the downfall of his Qin dynasty.
3. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
4. The Founding of Confucianism: Overview & Influence
This lesson will explain the origins of Confucianism by highlighting the life and times of Master Kung, known today as Confucius. In doing so, it will focus on feudalism in China as well as the principle of jen.
5. Confucius' Ideas on Family & Society
In this lesson, you will explore the foundational principles of the Chinese philosophy Confucianism and discover how family relationships influenced emperors. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Taoism & Legalism in the Chinese Zhou Dynasty
While Confucianism remained the most dominant philosophy to emerge from China during the Zhou period, two other philosophies, Taoism and Legalism, offered different approaches to how to best live in the world.
7. The Qin Dynasty in China: The Great Wall & Legalism
In this lesson, we will explore the short-lived but powerful Qin Dynasty of China. We will examine the dynasty's founding, life under Qin rule, the Qin legacy, and the downfall of the Qin.
8. The Han Dynasty in China: Characteristics, Wu Ti & Xiongnu
In this lesson, we will explore China's Han dynasty. We will discover the ups and downs of its history and learn about some of its major characteristics and accomplishments.
9. What Is the Silk Road? - Goods & Ideas Crossing China
In this lesson, you will explore the history of the famous Silk Roads that connected civilizations as far apart as Persia, Greece, and China. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History 112: World History I course
- Prehistory & the Development of Humankind
- Civilization Begins at Mesopotamia
- Early Egyptian Civilization
- Early Civilizations of the Ancient Near East
- The Rise of Empires in the Ancient Near East
- Early Indian Civilizations & Empires
- Early Greek Civilizations
- Classical Greek Culture & Philosophy
- Alexander & the Spread of Hellenistic Culture
- Rise of the Roman Republic
- The Roman Republic Becomes an Empire
- Roman Culture & Society
- The Development of Christianity
- Fall of the Roman Empire
- The Birth of the Muslim World
- Early African Civilizations
- Early Civilizations in Asia
- The Roman World in Transformation
- Feudalism in Europe & the Early Middle Ages
- The Byzantine Empire & the Crusades
- Rise of the Russians & the Turks
- Society & Culture in the Medieval Warm Period
- Medieval Civilization & Christianity
- European Kingdoms Emerge
- Culture of the High Middle Ages
- The Late Middle Ages
- Early Civilizations in the Americas
- The Muslim World Expands
- The European Renaissance